2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idle went so low truck almost died why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok but how do you clean the iac the tps?my truck like you'rs has no *****.I did do a full tune up on the truck a month ago but it didnt helpim not really sure what the iac and tps is .does anyone have a pic of it?my truck also has another issue it will kinda jerk you forward very quick and fast a few times a week and I hear a thump when i take my foot off the gas then step on the gas again.hoping I dont need a tranny rebuild.grrrrr

Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

IAC is Idle Air Control Motor. It's on the back of the throttle body.

TPS is throttle Position Sensor. It's on the drivers side of the throttle body.

To clean the IAC, grab yourself a throttle body gasket from the parts store, they are like two bucks..... pull the throttle body off the intake, remove the IAC from the throttle body, (two screws) and then clean all the crap out of EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY the well for the IAC. Wipe off the end of the IAC pintle. (the pointy thing that actually seals the hole.) Disconnect the battery before you start the job.

When you get it all back together, and the battery hooked back up, turn the key to "On", count to five, slowly, THEN start the engine.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:40 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
IAC is Idle Air Control Motor. It's on the back of the throttle body.

TPS is throttle Position Sensor. It's on the drivers side of the throttle body.

To clean the IAC, grab yourself a throttle body gasket from the parts store, they are like two bucks..... pull the throttle body off the intake, remove the IAC from the throttle body, (two screws) and then clean all the crap out of EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY the well for the IAC. Wipe off the end of the IAC pintle. (the pointy thing that actually seals the hole.) Disconnect the battery before you start the job.

When you get it all back together, and the battery hooked back up, turn the key to "On", count to five, slowly, THEN start the engine.
Hey You, the 5-second count, is that to allow the computer time to get it's head together, sort out the sensor inputs? I've noticed that whenever I disconnect the battery, I hook it back up and crank it with no wait time and my truck usually dies once or twice.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
ok but how do you clean the iac the tps?my truck like you'rs has no *****.I did do a full tune up on the truck a month ago but it didnt helpim not really sure what the iac and tps is .does anyone have a pic of it?my truck also has another issue it will kinda jerk you forward very quick and fast a few times a week and I hear a thump when i take my foot off the gas then step on the gas again.hoping I dont need a tranny rebuild.grrrrr

Search maybe? LOL I have have posted this link in numerous threads lately.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hate it when an old phart like me has a hard time reading things like tps tb iac and such with no punctuation or capitalization my eyes no work so good anymo'

Is this a generational thing?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by rwisaacks
Hey You, the 5-second count, is that to allow the computer time to get it's head together, sort out the sensor inputs? I've noticed that whenever I disconnect the battery, I hook it back up and crank it with no wait time and my truck usually dies once or twice.
Probably just me being overcautious. But, yes, gives the PCM time to re-initialize the IAC (close it all the way), and re-learn closed throttle on the TPS.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I turn the key to the on position 10 times before I start engine. And there is no period of bad idle at first.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
bigblockmopar419
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never done the wait time... i disconnect the battery do what i need to do with the tps or the iac re-connect the battery an fire it up ive never had a problem with it stallin out after doin that!! but ive noticed that mine only acts up at operating temp.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by bigblockmopar419
i have never done the wait time... i disconnect the battery do what i need to do with the tps or the iac re-connect the battery an fire it up ive never had a problem with it stallin out after doin that!! but ive noticed that mine only acts up at operating temp.
Then you may have a blown plenum gasket, clogging cat and bad pre cat o2 sensor.

Quick Reply: idle went so low truck almost died why?