2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering seems stiff turning left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011 | 09:31 PM
Aerogauge
|
Professional
Default Steering seems stiff turning left?

My steering feels harder to turn left and normal to the right, what could that be?

Old 11-03-2011 | 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the steering stabilizer.... (the shock on the steering linkage.)

Old 11-03-2011 | 11:19 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Has the Power steering fluid been flushed recently?

Buy a few bottles of Mopar power steering fluid MS-5931. Some guys use the generic PS fluid sold everywhere, or ATF+4. I prefer the OEM Mopar fluid, or the Valvoline fluid that is spec'd to meet the MS-5931 requirements.

I believe you can check the DIY section for a step by step procedure on how to do it.

Could be a gearbox on it's way out. Could be other things as well (as HeyYou mentioned).

I would start with fresh fluid. Some guys use a bit of "Seafoam Trans Tune" in the new fluid to clean things up a bit, and then they flush it again after giving it a thorough cycling.

You could jack the front of the truck up, unlock the steering column, and turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine off to see if it acts the same. I suppose a bad steering stabilizer would still cause the tough steering in one direction even without a "load" on the system. If it steers like butter, then be looking at the dynamic components of the steering system (pump, gearbox).

Last edited by JSTMoto; 11-03-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering seems stiff turning left?