2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replaced heater core today

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The light just says 4x4. It doesn't differentiate between lo or hi. It takes it a couple seconds to engage as well. If you haven't used it for a while, it may take it a bit to fully engage.... The lite SHOULD come on eventually though. If you are sure you are actually getting 4x4, test the switch, it just unscrews from the end of the housing, and you can press it in with your finger. (and have someone else tell you if the light is coming on or not....) It's possible that the cad is engaging, but, not moving far enough to trip the switch.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey you I could definitly feel it engaged. I've also noticed with all the vehicles I've had that 4 wheel drive usually has a sort of whistle sound when driving around in 4 wheel. I definitly had a whistle like sound and it made sense from the way it was driving that 4 wheel was engaged.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

What about the vacuum line. Should I replace it sense it was ripped or should the electrical tape be fine? would the cut make it sound like air wants to rush through the defroster vent when taking off even though I can still feel the air coming out the ac vents?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it was a plastic line that broke, just cut a two inch piece of rubber line, to splice it together. (everybody has extra vacuum line lying about, right?) If it was a rubber line that broke, just stick a piece of plastic line in it. The tape won't hold for very long.

Have you replaced the check valves in the vacuum lines that feed the vent controls?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it was a plastic line that broke, just cut a two inch piece of rubber line, to splice it together. (everybody has extra vacuum line lying about, right?) If it was a rubber line that broke, just stick a piece of plastic line in it. The tape won't hold for very long.

Have you replaced the check valves in the vacuum lines that feed the vent controls?
no I havnt replaced the check valves which one is this? I'm not famuliar with them. it was the rubber line that broke that has the fitting that goes onto the tee. I believe the line should have a fitting on each end and I could just grab one from the junk yard.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

so could this rubber line be whats causing it to sound like air wants to rush out of the defroster vents or the check valves or both?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look at the Wild Vents thread in the FAQ/DIY section, good info on check valves there. (including part numbers, I think.)

Can you post a pic of the lines in question?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have a look at the Wild Vents thread in the FAQ/DIY section, good info on check valves there. (including part numbers, I think.)

Can you post a pic of the lines in question?
I looked at the wild vents previously. I had the wild vents before replacing the heater core. My guess was the vacuum line that ripped was leaking all along causing the wild vents. Now I dont have air actucally come out of the defroster, the air is coming out of the heat/ac vents like tis suppose to. The issue is when I first get on the gas from a stop it sounds like air is all coming from the dash/defroster vents area but if I put my hand over the defroster vent/broken dash area I dont feel any air. Its just odd that I get that much sound. I'm going to take a pic a little later on of the vacuum lines.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it the blend door that is responsible for the mixing of hot and cold? Ever since my HC flush, the temp controls seems to not be as responsive as before. Probably should be expected, but I don't get cooler air when I'm only 20% blue. I have to drop all the way to blue to cooler, otherwise I'll typically be just fine with 50/50 setting. Now its just too hot.

What is your status on your issues?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Is it the blend door that is responsible for the mixing of hot and cold? Ever since my HC flush, the temp controls seems to not be as responsive as before. Probably should be expected, but I don't get cooler air when I'm only 20% blue. I have to drop all the way to blue to cooler, otherwise I'll typically be just fine with 50/50 setting. Now its just too hot.

What is your status on your issues?
You have the neat little servo motor that controls the blend door, and it does exactly what you state. Check out HeaterTreater.something for a possible fix.

Quick Reply: replaced heater core today