2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replaced heater core today

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default replaced heater core today

Well I've been working on my truck the last few days to replace the heater core. Today I finally got everything bolted back up. I decided to run the truck and see how the heat was. Well the first problem I noticed was my heat and AC will not blow out the vents. They only come out the defroster vents. I already checked and the vacuum lines seem to be hooked up. I cant find anything that isnt hooked up rite or what is going on. HELP!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check vacuum source. Passenger side of the intake manifold, and follow the lines back to where they disappear thru the firewall.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Something is not hooked up obviously. With out being there to see, I would say you have to keep looking. Is the vac lines on the back of the box to the right of the gas pedal hooked up?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Something is not hooked up obviously. With out being there to see, I would say you have to keep looking. Is the vac lines on the back of the box to the right of the gas pedal hooked up?
these are the ones the have like a white connector or whatever? if so yes they are hooked up. I even pulled them off stuck my hand over the lines to check that it was getting suction and hooked them back up as the heat was running.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sorry man, I don't know what to say. Like Hey You said , maybe that line is broke "inside" or maybe pull the switch out of the dash and make sure none of them came off.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

I am going to pull the dash out again tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Hopefully it is the switch or something like that. I dunno this **** is pissing me off!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

**** just got a lot worse. I was going to the gym and my truck felt like a turd trying to drive down the road. The rpms were getting extremly high like 1500 and then going. I went to turn after stoping and it hit 3000 rpms while trying to go. Wtf! So its driving like ****, slow as all ****. I'm assuming vacuum lines are screwed or something. Not sure how it is all jacked up like this. I didn't think my truck was going to make it. Now I just have to get it home. Any ideas what this is?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

ok guys so after taking the dash out again and checking everything I couldnt find anything wrong. My transmission was shifting really rough and the truck was driving like total ****. Well my buddy comes by and looks at the truck and found one of my vacuum lines was cut. It was cut right behind the intake. I also had my truck in 4 lo not realizing I had shifted it when I took the dash out. Now shouldnt I have a light come on on the dash to show the truck is in 4 wheel? So that vacuum line was causing the heat to blow out of the defroster vents only. Now the trucks power is back since it is in 2 wheel lol and the heat is working great. took me 2 days basically to figure it out but everything is fixed.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

With the major vacuum leak, probably the front axle wasn't engaging either.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

here is what i have noticed sense. When i get on the gas the truck sort of sounds like it wants to blow air through the defroster vent sound wise but if i put my hand up to the ac vents the air is still blowing through. Also the vacuum line that was cut, I electrical taped it back together and I was wondering do i need to replace the vacuum line or is it ok? my truck was in 4lo why did the dash not light up? I'm assuming it should light up rite to tell me its in 4 hi or lo. I guess it could be a bulb but where in the cluster is the 4 wheel indicator? thanks guys

Quick Reply: replaced heater core today