2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission problem while towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM
SteveM4A1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
It's still overheating. Overdrive is locked out something like five or ten degrees before the Trans Temp light comes on.

If your engine is running hot, the heat might be coming from the radiator as the engine heats its cooling system from which the energy is conductively coupled to the transmission cooler. But if the engine isn't overheating, then you've probably still got a restriction in the ATF cooling system.

I wouldn't suspect the pump, as it would likely manifest itself in a much grander fashion.

Engine isn't overheating, steady around 180 degrees. Should I be looking at the hoses that run to and from the radiator? Take them off and blow them out to make sure nothings clogged up?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Crackshot
Professional

I tow an ultra light 29 foot trailer with mine. 6k pounds fully loaded

I tow with OD off, 2200 to 2500 rpm / 55 - 60 mph.

Get about 9 to the gallon doing that way but engine temp runs in normal range.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
SteveM4A1
Rookie

All of this started happening once I took out some of the fluid to take it below max. Should I maybe fill it up a little over max? When I got the truck, it was WAY overfilled so I know just how much the previous owner had been running in it. All the way up to the bend in the stick..

Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM4A1
Take them off and blow them out to make sure nothings clogged up?
If it were mine, I'd get a couple of cans of transmission cooler flush and shoot it through the cooler(s). Once against the normal fluid flow then woofed out with air at no more than 20PSI, then in the normal flow direction and blown out again. I'd just hit the hard lines, disconnected at both ends, with lots of compressed air. 90PSI if ya got it. Be sure nothing can be damaged should crud fly out! If you find gray gunk coming out when you flush, that's the good news -- worn off friction material tends to hang up in the cooler(s). If you don't get that gunk then the problem is elsewhere and the only other where is in the transmission itself.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
SteveM4A1
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If it were mine, I'd get a couple of cans of transmission cooler flush and shoot it through the cooler(s). Once against the normal fluid flow then woofed out with air at no more than 20PSI, then in the normal flow direction and blown out again. I'd just hit the hard lines, disconnected at both ends, with lots of compressed air. 90PSI if ya got it. Be sure nothing can be damaged should crud fly out! If you find gray gunk coming out when you flush, that's the good news -- worn off friction material tends to hang up in the cooler(s). If you don't get that gunk then the problem is elsewhere and the only other where is in the transmission itself.
your thoughts scare me haha. let's hope I get some good news when I do this. thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your thoughts scare me haha.
My thoughts scare everyone!

let's hope I get some good news when I do this. thanks.
Keeping my ******* fingers crossed for ya!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
SteveM4A1
Rookie

so i come out of the bank today and see a puddle of tranny fluid under my truck, and trace the leak to this

is this the bell housing and is that hole supposed to be there? i'm guessing its a bad thing, so how would i fix it? and also could this be causing my issues? tranny fluid level is still in the ok range though...

and i also have another leak it looks like....

do i just take the oil pan off and replace that gasket to stop this?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Leaking from the little hole there (which IS supposed to be there by the way) is bad. Either the Torque converter seal is gone bad, or the pump is starting to leak. Either one requires dropping the trans.

On the pan leak, yeah, just drop the pan, and replace the gasket. Might even be as simple as tightening up the bolts a hair.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
SteveM4A1
Rookie

Thank you. I know I need transmission jacks and such for the drop, but should I just dish out the dough and take it to a shop? Also, wouldn't the pump going bad explain my transmission overheating? It is the only vehicle I have to get around in, but I don't want to drive it if it should be sitting still. I don't drive around much, so is it okay to drive it for a bit? I have been checking my fluid level and it doesn't really seem to be leaking much, except for when I came out of the bank today. Other than that, just a few drops here and there.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If it puked a puddle, it's only gonna get worse. If you don't have an alternate vehicle to drive, taking it to a shop is prolly gonna be your best bet. Be prepared for a 1200-1800 dollar bill though.... If the pump decided to smoke itself, it will distribute metal throughout the trans, and the rest of it won't be far behind in the 'belly up' attitude. You can try and limp it along for a bit, and see what happens, but, don't go far...... as you never know when it is going to simply stop working altogether.....

Quick Reply: Transmission problem while towing?