2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Maybe a couple of probems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
mopar56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a couple of probems

First off I have 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 318 with 84,000 miles on it. Just in the last 2 months I am having an issues. After it warms up it will just shut off like someone turn the switch off with no warning. When I try to restart it, it will not restart. It will turn over but won't fire as i am doing this I notice that temp gauge and fuel gauge do not move. After it sits for awhile it will start back up. But not really pushing it I drive it home quick. Also I have notice that my temp gauge dosnt go up to operating temp was about 190 now it is around 150. Anybody have any idea what I need to do.
Thank you,
Mopar56

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I don't know too much about this but I'm pretty sure if your coil isn't working right, it will get too hot and make it so the plugs can't create a spark.
Have you done a tune-up recently?

Also read on other forums could be a bad starter or crank sensor.

Anyone else got an idea?

Check out this diagram to narrow it down better: http://www.ifitjams.com/starting.htm

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 11-07-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to say but the thermostat may be stuck open/broke dead. Best I can gather from your symptoms. Other smarter people here will speak up, otherwise search for similar threads.

Edit: mopar56 welcome to the DF forums. I'm confident you'll get some good input here. Have some patience, do some searching, and provide as much detail as you can. any question is game. lastly, see if you can add your vehicle information to your signature to help ppl quickly know your rig as they respond.

UserCP > Edit Signature

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 11-07-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If tstat fails, temp will go high if it sticks closed. If it sticks open, it will take too long to get warm. Cannot imagine it only getting 150. But then agian, these type analog gauges are not intended to accurately measure temperature, jut to let driver know it is in operating range or too hot. Sendin unit could be malfunctioning wheihc would give a bad reading.

The immediate problem could be something such as the ASD relay is shutting down, crank sensor failure,or possibly low fuel pressure to name a few. Need to determine if engine is getting fire. I would start at coil as mentioned. A spark tester is about $5 and will verify operation. If it is getting fire, then test fuel pressure (fitting on fuel rail). It should be around 50 pounds.

Also, you can download a service manual in the FAQ/DIY section to get more ideas and information on diagnosing problem or testing components.

If you can check some of these things and post results, we can continue to look for problem.

One last thing - If you go to the top and click User CP, edit your signature and put your truck info there so everyone can tell what kind of vehicle withou you having to keep restating it or going to the first thread in the post. It helps us help you.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
jswain
Veteran

Has the check engine light been on for a while and/or come on when it acts up? If so, I would have the codes read. I also agree with the above, check for spark and fuel and see if you're getting one or the other or neither. Otherwise you're going to be guessing and wind up spending money on sensors and such that you might not need.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
mopar56

No the check engine light is not on, as far as the getting spark I can say when i first start it it will run for a while, maybe a trip across town and then it Dies. No sputtering or any thing just stops. let sit for about 15-20 mins and it will start right up. Would this still cause the battery and gas gauge not to register? Because when i go to re-start it neither one will move and after it sits for awhile i turn the ignition switch and both will move up

Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it may be something with the cooling system. Alot of vehicles have a safety deal set up with them that when they get too hot they will shut off until they cool down. I say hook a good temp gauge up and see what the temp is when it shuts off. I wouldn't count on the gauge in your cluster to be accurate. Worst case scenario you rule that out!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll go with crank sensor on this one. There is no real way to check it.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
I'll go with crank sensor on this one. There is no real way to check it.
Would it (crank sensor) throw a code? Was kinda thinking that too, but didn't know if it would set a code or not.

Durn dodges are funny about codes anyway. I've had mine for 170k and only had one misfire code (turned out to be bad gas). Only CEL I've ever had, although the TPS went (or was going) bad, no code on that one.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Crank sensor can set a code, however, that does not necessarily imply that it WILL. I have seen to many threads with bad crank sensors, but, no codes.....

Quick Reply: Maybe a couple of probems