2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bipolar truck with bad mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011 | 11:46 AM
flaming_conflagration
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The dropping in and out of O/D, (which is actually prolly TCC lockup) is usually TPS related. Test it, and see what the results are. This WILL impact fuel economy.

How old is the front O2? How's your cat? (the one on the truck......) Plugs? Wires? Cap? Rotor?
Front 02 was replaced about 6 months ago, I'd have to check my records. It was a NTK

Cat doesn't rattle or anything noticeable.

Plugs were just replaced about a month ago with autolite 9223 (I think thats the correct #) - no difference in mileage before or after

Wires and rotor were replaced about a year and a half ago right before I bought the truck. (seller had receipts).

I replaced the TPS after I bought the truck, and then again 6 months later with a mopar, and that didn't change anything other than an unsteady idle, Mileage stayed the same. I'll do the TPS test to confirm though.

Old 12-07-2011 | 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is your plenum fixed? Did you reset the PCM after swapping the O2? Might take it a bit to re-learn things. (and even longer if you didn't do the reset.)

Old 12-07-2011 | 11:58 AM
flaming_conflagration
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is your plenum fixed? Did you reset the PCM after swapping the O2? Might take it a bit to re-learn things. (and even longer if you didn't do the reset.)
Yep, did the hughes fix roughly 12 months ago, did the reset after the o2 sensor was replaced.

Old 12-07-2011 | 12:37 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

what is a TPS? and what does it do?

Old 12-07-2011 | 01:55 PM
flaming_conflagration
|

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
what is a TPS? and what does it do?
Throttle Position Sensor. Basically does what it says, monitors the position of the throttle body to relate it to the computer.

Old 12-07-2011 | 02:11 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by flaming_conflagration
Throttle Position Sensor. Basically does what it says, monitors the position of the throttle body to relate it to the computer.
I was hoping he would be ignored.. thousands of mentions of this sensor on over two thousand threads in this very forum.. millions on google.. entitled to the point of hijacking a thread.. it kills me..

anyway- HeyYou is on it, so, you're close to solving it.. I'll add this too, based on your very first post.. you said you ran the truck for a few minutes, pulled a plug, and they/it smelled like gas? that's not right... that's hardly close to right..

the critters that will fatten you up during 'proper' operation are your IAT, the temperature sensor/sender, and the o2 sensors.. they aren't even online in the few minutes you ran the truck to bring it to the garage..

you have fuel- I'd guess your fuel pump is working just fine..

It may be time to study your injectors.. break out the redneck stethoscope and have at em.. a long screwdriver or cut of garden hose will work.. start on one bank, front or rear, and go systematically from one to the other with one end of the hose on an injector, the other to your ear... you should hear a subtle 'click click click' as they do their thing.. but, you can also listen for discrepancies between them..

it ain't often an injector starts considering giving up the ghost, but it does happen.

Old 12-07-2011 | 02:27 PM
flaming_conflagration
|

Well I've been on here longer, just had a different account that I couldn't recover. And as for searching, it won't let you search for three letters or less, so IAT, TPS, CAT and those won't pull up any results, so if he had tried to search for TPS, he wouldn't have gotten anything.

Old 12-07-2011 | 02:43 PM
flaming_conflagration
|

Originally Posted by drewactual

anyway- HeyYou is on it, so, you're close to solving it.. I'll add this too, based on your very first post.. you said you ran the truck for a few minutes, pulled a plug, and they/it smelled like gas? that's not right... that's hardly close to right..

the critters that will fatten you up during 'proper' operation are your IAT, the temperature sensor/sender, and the o2 sensors.. they aren't even online in the few minutes you ran the truck to bring it to the garage..

It may be time to study your injectors.. break out the redneck stethoscope and have at em.. a long screwdriver or cut of garden hose will work.. start on one bank, front or rear, and go systematically from one to the other with one end of the hose on an injector, the other to your ear... you should hear a subtle 'click click click' as they do their thing.. but, you can also listen for discrepancies between them..

it ain't often an injector starts considering giving up the ghost, but it does happen.
Yep, I started, and then ran straight in the garage, for a distance of about 75 feet, and shut off. It doesn't take a long time to fire either, so I shouldn't have been dumping fuel while it cranked.

The smell wasn't super strong that I remember, but it was definately an unburnt fuel smell, more than I remember on any other vehicle changing the plugs.

Old 12-07-2011 | 02:44 PM
chadhager03
Captain

just google it With dodgeforum.com in the search, it'll being you back to this site with your link. You can also put the three letter word in quotes on this site

Old 12-07-2011 | 02:52 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Talking

Originally Posted by drewactual
I was hoping he would be ignored.. thousands of mentions of this sensor on over two thousand threads in this very forum.. millions on google.. entitled to the point of hijacking a thread.. it kills me..

yea i did search it. Nothing came up i googled it as well in another browser window but came up with several acronyms for the lettering. nomatter where you go you have ******** as big as their bravado, however thats why this site is the greatest because theres always someone willing to help even with a small tedious question. thank again guys

Quick Reply: Bipolar truck with bad mileage