2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rebuilding the trans got some Qs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM
mj23polaris
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding the trans got some Qs

well the 46re is goin out fast,
its not tore down yet but its shuttering alot once its in 2nd gear and into the other gears when ever im on the gas, and slipping into 2nd and when i give some gas. And itll hold 3k rpm and jus sit there for a wile.

so what i wanna know is what are some parts that i should order along with the rebuild kit im getting from American Transmission. i want to basically build as much of the trans as i can without spending a **** ton.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Look on page six of montec's trans thread in the faq section. That is a list of parts for a member that regularly towed a 7k pound trailer. Follow that list, and you will have a good trans. All part numbers are from wittrans.com. Some pieces are the same, just for different years, make sure you get the right year, and don't buy two of the same part. (only one of which will work.)

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put your list together, then CALL Wittrans. They will help you not double order some of the parts, and make sure you get the parts you need. I also changed planetary set from 4 to 6 gears. Runs great! And dwonload FSM from FAQ/DIY section if you haven't already. Keep everything clean, and take your time, follow directions in FSM.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

Cast Iron Bands are the best.

They cost around 40-60 bucks each but they will outlast any other since they don't flex like the others. The wider the better, but choose materials wisely. Some say stay away from kevlar...

( http://www.network54.com/Forum/26073...vs+3+planetary..... )

His advise was NOT to use a Kevlar band on any street/strip car because it eats up the clutch drums. He said to use the "red" lined bands instead.
gregaust
(no login)
203.56.233.124 Re: Red lined bands vs kevlar, also 6 pinion vs 3 planetary.....
April 13 2010, 12:27 AM

Ive used the red lined and kevlar bands and not seen a lot of difference in either . Certainly not seen the kevlar eat the drums.

Planets 3 + 6 , both are good IMO. An increased lube feed through the sungear to the planet is a big help.

The C6 will be tough as . Look up the sticky C6 post on 460ford.com and Frank Merkl makes the best C6 valvebodies .
e: Red lined bands vs kevlar, also 6 pinion vs 3 planetary.....
April 13 2010, 9:40 AM

I preffer the BLACK bands with high energy high carbon material. They don't slip, and last a HELL of a long time against wear. The Kevlar seems to slip more than Red lined...I don't buy red lined bands for anything anymore.
As for eating drums...clutches/bands are like brake pads...softer organic, better stopping power, long drum life short pad life - - - - metalic pads slip more, eat drums, last a hell of a long time.
Upgrading your servos is also a very good idea. I used to downshift hard and the result was that I physically broke 2/3 of the servo pistons in the process.

Higher ratio Band Apply Lever, Heavy Duty Band Strut, & Heavy Duty Band Anchor are more good upgrade choices. These Band Anchors have the tendency to chip and possibly fall out of place when the band isn't adjusted properly. Install a heavy duty set of 40 dollar parts and never worry about that again.

When it comes to these transmissions it's not the clutches or hard parts that give out too easily unless severely abused. Often its rather the parts involved in the switching of the gears: bands, servos, band apply parts ( Lever, Strut, Anchor ), piston seals, etc.

Install a normal rebuild kit and upgrade those few things and your trans will be happy for a very long time. Most importantly, keep the fluid cool and clean. Install a auxiliary trans cooler and maybe even a in-line spin on filter to help maintain everything in the long haul. Trans would then be second to none for normal trips and towing within capacity limits of the truck from that point on.

Last edited by Slomojo; 11-10-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Another spot not to skimp on, torque converter. Don't just pick up some 80 dollar stock replacement, get a GOOD torque converter from a brand name manufacturer, or, one that someone can recommend.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Another spot not to skimp on, torque converter. Don't just pick up some 80 dollar stock replacement, get a GOOD torque converter from a brand name manufacturer, or, one that someone can recommend.
I had mine rebuilt locally

Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I had mine rebuilt locally
A lot of good that does when the truck does not run.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop drinking it.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slomojo
Cast Iron Bands are the best.

They cost around 40-60 bucks each but they will outlast any other since they don't flex like the others. The wider the better, but choose materials When it comes to these transmissions it's not the clutches or hard parts that give out too easily unless severely abused. Often its rather the parts

Never saw cast iron bands. The bands have to flex in order to function....The band has to clamp around the drum.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:01 PM
mj23polaris
Professional

so i got a loan from a family member and im gonna do level 2 viper from patc, and get a refurbished tq converter

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Combo_Kits.htm#518

#K3. Fits Dodge 518 / 618 / 46RE / 46RH / 47RE / 47RH, 1990 - early 2003. You get the Alto master rebuild kit with all four sets of RedEagle clutches and all four sets of Kolene steels, #BHP. It comes with a direct clutch PowerPack with 5 clutches and a #4K Carbon Fiber flex band. This band is 2 1/8 inches wide. Plus a Fairbanks TransAction kit that comes with a rapid fill manual valve that allows converter charge when the transmission is in park. This is the master kit we use in our performance Viper transmissions. You also get the Sonnax 16% oversize intermediate Super Servo, the Sonnax 4 ring billet aluminum accumulator piston for a leak free seal and the Power Wedge unbreakable intermediate band anchor.
You get the #BHP Alto master rebuild kit with all Red Eagle clutches, direct Power Pack and all Kolene steels, the #4K Carbon flex band and the #10518 Superior / Fairbanks TransAction kit, Sonnax oversize band apply servo and leak free accumulator piston, plus the unbreakable Power Wedge. All five part numbers for $555.00. SAVE $61.00 HERE !, 10% OFF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-A51...7#ht_971wt_932

Quick Reply: rebuilding the trans got some Qs