2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission compatability

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I am not sure the PCM will even notice the difference.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me either - that's just me wondering.....

Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As am I!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM
peshewa
Veteran

I think I am going to go with the 46re & cross my fingers. I can get a used one in good shape for less than $500, way less than a rebuild of my 42re. Wish me luck!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Try and get one from the same year truck you have. GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:28 AM
peshewa
Veteran

Latest news guys, I found a salvage vendor just across the state line, who has a 46re from a full size ram van mounted to a 5.2 engine. He did some checking and told me it will mount up & work without issue but my drive shaft may have to be shortened slightly then re-balanced. Evidently, the tail of the case is a bit longer, but all else hooks up the same. I think I know of some places local to me that will handle the drive shaft issue for less than $100, and the tranny I found he will sell to me for $300. If it is still available when I get the money, I will find a way to update this thread to let you all know how it goes.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
IF the 46RE is also the 518 it's an OK transmission, they break and need repair but, what transmission doesn't? sometimes a full out rebuild, sometimes not.

I don't know if it's a better transmission then the 42re, I have the 46RE in my truck, it was rebuilt about 4k before I bought it, problem free so far. I did do a fluid/filter change after I bottomed out and bent the transmission fluid pan a little.
the second number in the naming denomination is the strength indicator...the higher the number the beefier the transmission...
(example the 47RE is for the v10 model)
the "E" stands for electric meaning electric controlled, an "H" would be hydraulically controlled...

Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peshewa
I noticed that ALL the guys who work at area tranny shops drive ram trucks. I also hear from various sources that dodge makes crap for transmissions. I also heard that from local tranny shops. I understand what you mean about anything can break. If it has moving parts, it will need work eventually. I just think there is some credence to what I hear about dodge trannies since mine is crapping out at 42k miles. I have also been looking onto finding an adapter for a 700r4 gm tranny also, but not for the dodges. Those are known to be very stout trannies and with a small amount of upgrading, can handle tons of abuse & power. I hope someone out here can tell me for sure if they are the same or different.
yes the trannies appear to be crap.... mine stopped shifting again yesterday 9k miles after replacing the governor soleniod and sensor to resolve this issue in the past... My corvette however has been pushed hard for 27 years and the 700r4 tranny still shifts great...
the 46re was the first generation of electrically controlled transmissions used in dodge trucks so they likely learned a lot since then (like the plenum and death flash fiasco at our expense).

Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
the second number in the naming denomination is the strength indicator...the higher the number the beefier the transmission...
(example the 47RE is for the v10 model)
the "E" stands for electric meaning electric controlled, an "H" would be hydraulically controlled...
Well then, the 46re is a better transmission than the 42re.

Quick Reply: transmission compatability