2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Happy early birthday to me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Happy friggin' naked day (however early it is).

2. Congratulations on the coming addition to the family. Did you check if you have multiples? lol

3. WTF would cause the crack? Driving it like you stole something?

4. I can't answer about a cheap fix.

5. If you do sell, then let me know if you are parting anything...so I have first dibs.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy early birthday to me!

Well the truck has been acting up lately. Got home from a birthday lunch with my grandma and parked the truck. Went out about an hour later to check all fluids and whatnot. Noticed a nice puddle about 6 inches around underneath the truck. Its ATF. No fluid on the stick and a hairline crack in the transfer case. Just put this TC in about a month ago and everything was great till a few days ago. I have a baby on the way and absolutely cannot afford to have this thing torn apart again for any amount of time.

My question is can i use some JB weld or something to try and seal up this crack and just refill everything and hope for the best?
If not my only other option is to sell it and buy a cheap car or something.. any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How the hell?

Name:  HolyPostCrap.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  167.8 KB

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 11-14-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen that before, HeyYou had something to do with it I think, at least on the thread I'm talking about.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Birthday is tomorrow! The big 21!! Gonna be enjoying it in about ohh 9 hours or so after the findings of today. Only 1 bun in the oven. My baby girl coming in february.

As to what caused it to crack i have no freaking clue. Put on about 400 miles since i got it all in and most have them been just highway cruising at about 65-70. Havent been beating on it at all cause i didnt want anything to break. In a realy pickle here trying to decide on what to do. Im gonna be going to the parts store in a minute to get some JB weld and pray it works. Ill snap a picture while im down there. Its been leaking for quite a while i guess cause the whole underside of the truck is coated in ATF.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Did you check the snap ring on the output shaft before you installed it? Has to be a reason it cracked.....

How much do you think you are going to be able to get for it with the cracked case though? And what kind of car are you going to be able to get for that kind of money? Think it will be any less costly on repairs than the truck??

Drain all the fluid out of the case before you try the JB weld, otherwise, it just won't stick. Check that snap ring as well.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
dlyter09
Champion

No i didnt check the snap ring before i installed it. Good bet though that it may be the culprit after looking at things a little closer. Its sitting in the garage right now for the night draining. There cant be to much fluid left in there judging by the amount all over the underside of the truck. Gonna let it drain all night tonight and do the JB weld tomorrow sometime.

Ill try the JB weld and then check the snap ring. Hopefully that is the problem.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really don't think JB Weld is going to fix it . And in the event that it does work , at least short term. No body will ever know. Because who is going to to do a search for "Happy Birthday to me" when they have a TC problem? Thread titles are important there bud.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I agree i shoulda thought about the title. I thought it fit cause my truck gave me a nice present lol.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I agree i shoulda thought about the title. I thought it fit cause my truck gave me a nice present lol.

The title is fine for the general discussion section.

If you are dead set to try the JB. Remove the tail shaft housing after draining the fluid.(you want to check the snap ring anyway) Let it drain a while. Use some brakeleen to clean the housing from the inside also. This way you'll get as much fluid out of the crack as possible before using the JB.

Quick Reply: Happy early birthday to me!