2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will 1ton diesel coil springs lift my 2500 V10 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Gopats
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 1ton diesel coil springs lift my 2500 V10 ?

I have been trying to find out my best option for getting another 2 or 2.5 inches out of the front of my truck. Typical ram is lower in the front then the rear. I run a fisher plow in the winter that when its on the truck really nose dives.

Here are my three options. (1) coil springs out of a 1 ton diesel. Think this would raise it and keep the ride close to factory.
(2) 2.5 inch coil spacers. Not sure how strong they are and they really aren't going to help with plow on. (3) after market coil springs. With this I have no idea what i will get for actual height and not sure if they can handle the plow.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I don't think the diesel coils will give you any lift at all. You already have a 3/4 ton, and I don't think there is any difference in the front springs between the 3/4, and 1 ton, and I don't think there's a lot of weight difference between the V-10, and der diesel.

Spacers would give you whatever lift the spacers advertise, should have no problems with the plow, and the front will squat the same distance it does now when you pick up the plow. Starting higher, will have you ending higher.

Springs will also give you the advertised lift, but, might squat a bit more when you pick up the plow, but, you will still end up higher than the stock springs.

Custom springs would be a somewhat other than cheap solution, but, you could get them wound the way you want, first couple inches of travel quite a bit stiffer than the rest.... (progressive rate springs.) but, the ride without the plow would suffer....

You could go the other way with that as well..... first bit of movement at stock rate, and then progressively stiffer the more they compress. Which way you go depends more on what you want, than anything else. (as far as when you get the best ride quality.)

Yet another alternative would be air bags inside your current coils...... If what you are looking for is more support for the plow, as opposed to simply lifting the truck.... these would be just the ticket. With an onboard air option, you could even adjust the ride on the fly. This route would allow you to have the best of both worlds. Price is probably going to be a bit less, or similar price to custom coils.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Gopats
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the air bag idea. Basically I want to level the truck out. I'm tired of the stance it currently has. The spacers might be the cheapest and best way to go for me. Ive also heard of of people putting stoppers on the the frame keeping the truck from dipping too much when the plow is on. I think the name starts with a T but I cant be sure.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on HeyYou's input. :thumbsup:

Are you thinking of bumpstops???

Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bump stops are timbrens. they work pretty good. they run about 200 for the pair. the coil spacer would be your best bet. ive seen diesels with coil spacers that had plows on them and nothing was effected. the v10, and diesel springs are the same part number. i have the diesel coils on my truck and i have an 8' fisher and my truck bare squats 3/4".

Quick Reply: Will 1ton diesel coil springs lift my 2500 V10 ?