2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 AM
methpmp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Supercharger

Okay, I was looking on ebay because I was bored and I came across something. Its a universal turbo that mounts in the air filter tube and forces upto 5 pounds worth of boost.. I understand the risks of by doing this I could ruin the motor because its not designed for boost.

But my question is this how much or if any boost can our motors handle, and has anyone ever tried anything like this. I kinda want to do this but i cant afford to ruin my daily driver like this for fun.

Could this somehow help mpgs at all or anything.. does this somehow rob airflow at certain times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrm6...layer_embedded

Thanks,

Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, electric superchargers, from what I have heard, are a joke. They don't work. Secord, in research I've done before, most stock engines, not just the magnums can handle up to 7 pounds of boost. Third, read this. It was just posted in the General area.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-5-2-dyno.html

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM
jmbishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets pretend this actually works, if you where to gain 20-30HP you would barely feel it. Loosing 100lbs from your car makes it feel like you have 10 more HP, do you notice the difference between passenger and no passenger, spare tire and no spare tire? Do ranch bumpers turn your truck into a dog? The HP claims are a joke, the product is a joke, if you can't afford to do it the right way just keep saving your money until you can, this electric fan won't do anything.

Most HP gains people claim they feel are psychological and most of the little mods are pointless unless they come with a added bonus of better gas mileage.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Archion
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take that hair drier, add an intake spacer, with a fuel magnet, wrap it all up with some stickerz and your good for like 10000hp...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

LOLOLOLOL.

That product is right up there with the folks that tried to use a leaf blower as a supercharger. Waste of money, the claims are bogus. Just like the 'chips' that wire into the IAT sensor that claim 50 horsepower. Makes ya wonder whatever happened to the Truth in Advertising laws.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
First off, electric superchargers, from what I have heard, are a joke. They don't work. Secord, in research I've done before, most stock engines, not just the magnums can handle up to 7 pounds of boost. Third, read this. It was just posted in the General area.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-5-2-dyno.html
Yes, a real electric supercharcher would have to have a massive motor and would suck a lot of juice.

7PSI is about the safe level on stock headgaskets, you can go higher but it's a little risky, with headgaskets and ARP bolts/studs you can easily push 12+PSI with a good tune.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

truth in advertising is laughable... More and more companies are totally disregarding integrity.. it's floggin' sad, and it's getting worse..

but, there is always a little truth in everything... it's just that people take the grain of truth gained in a study or experiment, and surround it with BS, while disregarding the factors that make it impractical..

all that to say this:

there is some truth to the IAT claim.. but it's not near so grand as it is presented.. the IAT can curve or dump fuel, but to what degree I don't know, and it can advance or retard timing up to 1.5* in either direction of center all on it's own. The thing about it, is that may actually net you a COUPLE of ponies, but in the same vane, it can COST you ponies too... guess what it depends on? (drum roll).... Temperature.. curiously, that's what the dang thing is for to begin with- to determine the density of air based on it's temperature.. denser air means more air with each gulp, so it has to fatten up that charge of air.. and.. denser air is colder air, and is harder to ignite.. so, it's safe to advance timing................... synopsis: take your own risks advancing timing on a 'warmer than it thinks' engine.. this is a good recipe for pre-det..

electric superchargers are being researched and developed.. there is a problem with them that can't be negotiated.. their is a law of physics that they can't get around.. it is basically: to make enough power to produce positive pressure, the engine has to drive either an accessory on it's drive belt that would reduce any gains to null, or carry enough battery charge to drive it, which would also reduce the gains to be ineffective.. in order to drive an electric turbine with enough ***** to produce boost, it requires a ton of electricity, but it spends the electricity faster than it can be produced.. there is no way around it.. electric systems that drive air in the air hat MAY provide positive flow at low engine speeds, but become an obstacle at anything above low engine speeds.. so, THEY DO NOT WORK....

electric superchargers are a possibility... they will likely make it happen in the future.. but the cost of circuitry, the craftsmanship, and the cost of high strength low weight material will make the electric supercharger cost (not a little) A LOT more than a mechanically driven system..

those rascals took just enough of the information floating around by folks who are truly trying to achieve this, and marketed a bogus product, in effect setting back the guys who are truly trying to achieve this's progress and reputation..

gotta love it..

Old 11-12-2011, 11:48 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to elaborate just a little, if there is anyone interested in hearing this (which, I kinda doubt)... anyway:

small, energy efficient electric motors, capable of producing flow are available in abundance.. there are all grades of small, positive pressure producing pumps/turbines.. some are around that can produce as much as a steady 100psi.. and through a hose about 1/8" in diameter.. meaning, they can produce small volumes of highly pressurized air..

they CAN'T produce even 1psi per RPM in the VOLUME required to charge an engine.. Not a single one exists in the world that can do so, and is practical for use as such..

never mind that though, these twerps want you to forget about 'volume' when they are talking about 'pressure'.. when you're talking engines, you simply CAN'T do that.. .. sorry for this rant, but those guys tweak me with their marketing.. if they are smart enough to lay out the science that makes it possible, the are straight up LIARS to not address the reasons, which are more blatant, that it DOESN'T work..

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Any turbo/supercharger that does not require 36 lb/hr injectors is not going to do anything.

However, this is dyno numbers from a........LEAF BLOWER!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyR0U_fYtwY

Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Drew, since we both have inectors that make us "a bit rich", don't you think that installing that would give 30 HP? Not being a smartass, but it has me thinking it could work with our situations much better than just slapping it onto a stock truck.

Originally Posted by drewactual
to elaborate just a little, if there is anyone interested in hearing this (which, I kinda doubt)... anyway:

small, energy efficient electric motors, capable of producing flow are available in abundance.. there are all grades of small, positive pressure producing pumps/turbines.. some are around that can produce as much as a steady 100psi.. and through a hose about 1/8" in diameter.. meaning, they can produce small volumes of highly pressurized air..

they CAN'T produce even 1psi per RPM in the VOLUME required to charge an engine.. Not a single one exists in the world that can do so, and is practical for use as such..

never mind that though, these twerps want you to forget about 'volume' when they are talking about 'pressure'.. when you're talking engines, you simply CAN'T do that.. .. sorry for this rant, but those guys tweak me with their marketing.. if they are smart enough to lay out the science that makes it possible, the are straight up LIARS to not address the reasons, which are more blatant, that it DOESN'T work..

Quick Reply: Electric Supercharger