2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

She keeps dying on me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She keeps dying on me.

I've owned my truck for over 7 months now.

It has 134k miles./ Driven it 10k since I got it

But ever since I got the truck I never had any issues with it shutting off. But about 3 days ago it cracked over, then just shut off. It doesn't seem like the battery is dead. I'm running 2, I rarely have anything plugged into it. But yesterday I drove it to work, came home with no problems. Today, I just drove to gas station and then I started it and it shut off. I had to keep my foot on the brake and give it some gas so I could start going again.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? It's a 97 magnum

Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check fuel pressure. It should be 45 to 50 lbs. Also verify you are getting a strong spark. If it will start and not idle then check IAC on throttle body.

Do you have service manual? (Look in FAQ/DIY section for download) This will tell you how to check and/or clean IAC.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you're able to keep it running by applying gas pedal pressure, the problem is likely the IAC (back side of throttle body) or TPS (drivers side of throttle body). check IAC first. there is a port at the bottom of the well that lets air bypass the closed throttle plate. if that well is gunked up, or the port is clogged, then it won't idle. other than cleaning pintle and well, the IAC is not serviceable. you can replace it for $40-60 at any parts store. don't push, pull, or twist the pintle or you'll break it. there's also interaction with the TPS. if it doesn't register the gas pedal at idle, then the pcm doesn't operate the IAC correctly. its also non-serviceable and replaced for about $45. sometimes the TPS will throw a code when it messes up.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

So take out the IAC, give it a clean and put it back in?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetTooth

Yep. But gotta pull throttle bpdy and clean out IAC port. It gets crap up in there, and cleaing IAC without cleaning seat surface will not be very effective. Brake Cleaner works good.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
yes. if dirty - spray the pintle and the housing with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. don't loose the spray straw down the hole. poke a wire or screwdriver through the hole to be sure its clear.

if you remove the air cleaner and look down the TB, you can see the port. just my opinion, but i think completely removing the TB is a waste of time.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 PM
92reddodgeram4x4

my truck is a 92 powerram 4x4. 241,000 mi. New trans about 30K mi ago. Keeps quiting on me also...Always starts back in just a couple min though.

I've got the same problem with my 92 4x4.. Driving down the road and it just stalls... it's already done it 4 times in the last 12-15 miles... I'm going to try and clean the IAC but I already bought a rebuilt ECM off ebay for 179 bucks.. I hope this fixes problems because i'm really agrivated. 3 out of the 4 times it quit i just put it in nuetral and while i was coasting i started it back up and kept her movin.. the first time i had to pull off the road and wait about 2 min and it started right back up. Everytime it's quit the headlights have been on also.. Just saying.. The dash lights will get dim and the truck dies...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM
92reddodgeram4x4
Default Sorry.. Wrong year forum..

92 PowerRam 4x4
I see this forum is for 94 through 01 trucks... My bad. I hope you get your problem fixed.. I know it's aggrivating..

Quick Reply: She keeps dying on me.