2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Drums-Rusted TIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I got me one of them thingyzzz!!! <-- real word, I'm being cereal

Question about the 1-ton cylinders. Is it a direct swap in? One of mine is starting to leak and so I've got to replace mine. Your comment perked up my nukles.

I used the SEARCH and BLAMMO!!!

GM Dually Wheel Cylinders on a 1500?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Is that a real word?

So, looks like this b!tch is going to get a complete Rear brake overhaul.

Looking at drums, hardware, pads, cylinders and 2 self adjusting brake repair kits. Anti-seize all around. Coat of rust-oleum on Thursday since it'll be warmish out. Missing anything?

Hit the driver side with a heavy wire wheel, looks better...but still quite a bit of rust where I can't reach. Softer wire brush can reach, but doesn't do chit.

Any formula for removing rust...I've already got the elbow grease one memorized.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Flue
Is that a real word?
Yes, Search is a real word.

So, looks like this b!tch is going to get a complete Rear brake overhaul.

Looking at drums, hardware, pads, cylinders and 2 self adjusting brake repair kits. Anti-seize all around. Coat of rust-oleum on Thursday since it'll be warmish out. Missing anything?

Hit the driver side with a heavy wire wheel, looks better...but still quite a bit of rust where I can't reach. Softer wire brush can reach, but doesn't do chit.

Any formula for removing rust...I've already got the elbow grease one memorized.
Good deal. If you're going to do it, do it right and do it once. I take it you have all new springs and other parts? If not, DO IT. Take your drums, backing plates, and all other associated brake components that are to be reused and have them sand blasted or media blasted. I would then advise you use either Rustoleum or Hammerite paint on everything (including the face of the drum. When reassembling everything, any fastener that has threads should be lightly coated with Anti-seize. Don't gob it on, and that includes the threads for the brakeline to the wheel cylinder. Use cause so as not to contaminate the tip of the connector and thereby contaminating the brake fluid.

Also, when you're done with this I would also advise that you completely flush the brake system. Again -- do it right. Preventative maintenance is the key.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Flue
Veteran

All new. drums, springs, clips...etc. New fluid, flushed. Not pulling the shafts at this time.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Take a wire wheel to the axle hub while your at it.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Upgrading to the 1 ton WC's is a waste of time if you don't manually adjust the rear brakes at least every oil change . The self adjusters suck.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Flue
Veteran

That's good to know. Hitting as much as I can in my limited window.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
Upgrading to the 1 ton WC's is a waste of time if you don't manually adjust the rear brakes at least every oil change . The self adjusters suck.

I will call BS on that statement. I've been running them for 5 years and never a lick of trouble *AND* I never adjust them at oil change intervals. The secret to getting the adjusters to properly function is to every once in a while drive the vehicle in reverse for 20 yards or so and then SLAM on the brakes. Repeat this procedure two or three times. There -- they're adjusted.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

GM Dually Wheel Cylinders on a 1500?
Oh cmon!! I call BS. You searched your own name and 1-ton wheel cylinders. I would never have thought to search on GM.

Thanks for the link though big guy. At the end, someone posted about doing Dodge 1-tons. How come you chose the WCs?

Originally Posted by zman17
You did WCs too, how come not Dodge or Bendix or w/e?

I will call BS on that statement. I've been running them for 5 years and never a lick of trouble *AND* I never adjust them at oil change intervals. The secret to getting the adjusters to properly function is to every once in a while drive the vehicle in reverse for 20 yards or so and then SLAM on the brakes. Repeat this procedure two or three times. There -- they're adjusted.
How about 15 yards?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Which nobody ever does.

Quick Reply: Brake Drums-Rusted TIGHT