2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust..again

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
ekaplan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust..again

So I've heard plenty about the stock y but don't know how to address it. Found out I.had a cracked header so replacing everything. Guy who pulled the headers said they went straight to the y, no collectors. Does this sound right? I always thought the collector was part of the header just where all the tubes connect before going to the y. But I wouldn't know. That makes me think I don't have a stock y. Everything online says their y pipes are for long tubes which I'm not getting due to emissions. Should I just get a custom made one? I wanted 3" from y through high flow cat to single inlet muffler, don't know which one yet, with a duel 2.5" out. Maybe 3 but most say 2.5 is good for these. Or would it be better to run duels from the cat with two separate mufflers. Only reason I want mufflers is to eliminate popping and raspy sounds. I was going to buy shorties with a 2.5" collector flange so it would be an easier transition to the 3" y. And for the headers, is the extra money for stainless steel worth it? Please help with all lol. Need my truck so want to get everything at once.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the stock manifolds dont really have a normal looking collector. as for your y pipe. look at the jegs y pipe they sell. summit sells a set of shorties with 2.5" collectors for about 200 last time i looked. and then the jegs y pipe into your high flow magnaflow cat. and then its up to you for what muffler u want. as for ur questions on going duals or not, if your gonna go single id use 3" if ur gonna do dual go with 2.5"

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ekaplan
So I've heard plenty about the stock y but don't know how to address it. Found out I.had a cracked header so replacing everything. Guy who pulled the headers said they went straight to the y, no collectors. Does this sound right? I always thought the collector was part of the header just where all the tubes connect before going to the y. But I wouldn't know. That makes me think I don't have a stock y. Everything online says their y pipes are for long tubes which I'm not getting due to emissions. Should I just get a custom made one? I wanted 3" from y through high flow cat to single inlet muffler, don't know which one yet, with a duel 2.5" out. Maybe 3 but most say 2.5 is good for these. Or would it be better to run duels from the cat with two separate mufflers. Only reason I want mufflers is to eliminate popping and raspy sounds. I was going to buy shorties with a 2.5" collector flange so it would be an easier transition to the 3" y. And for the headers, is the extra money for stainless steel worth it? Please help with all lol. Need my truck so want to get everything at once.
I didnt know they made headers in anything but stainless..they certianly wont last long otherwise...ceramic coated would last longer still then just stainless...
My headers seem to have two separate mandrel bent pipes that both go into a cat with two inlets and one 2.75 or 3" exit pipe(is that stock on a 96 besides the headers?) that leads into a montrous stainless muffler with two 2.5 pipes out of it.... the minute I heard it run that was the deciding factor for me to buy... nice rumble with throaty idle but not annoying when driving at all.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
ekaplan
Professional

Not sure about the stock setup of those. I purchased mine with a messed up setup. Can't complain though, I paid 7k for it last month with 84k miles. It's nearly mint, 3" list on 35s, JL audio throughout with sub under the middle seat, rhino liked and much more. Old minerboened it and died recently. Just have to get this exhaust issue worked out and I'll be good to go, hopefully lol. Thanks for the feedback. I accidently ordered the high flow cat with single inlet double outlet so not sure if I'm gonna return it or just buy two mufflers. These decisions would be easy if we were rich!

Last edited by ekaplan; 11-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is their a big difference in steel and stainless steel for the headers? I noticed the cheaper ones aren't usually stainless. Thanks for the feedback!
are you sure they arent just a cheaper grade of stainless? otherwise they would only last months right? I have cheap pacesetters and they are stainless...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pacesetters are not "cheap" been around long time. buy they are easier on the wallet yes...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
ekaplan
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
are you sure they arent just a cheaper grade of stainless? otherwise they would only last months right? I have cheap pacesetters and they are stainless...
i've seen some that only say steel and others that say stainless. but that and a different quality effect the price. the ones on mine now had no name on them and couldn't be near them seconds after startup. they ended up warping and splitting on the driver side. it happened because the genius who put them on broke the back bolt on the driver side. i'm assuming the difference in heat especially since it wasn't tight in that spot, ruined the header. they're such poor quality. very thin. i'm trying to avoid any future repairs with this purchase.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 AM
ekaplan
Professional

So I dropped too much money but should work well. Ended up getting ceramic jba shorties with 2.5" collector flange. I paid for the ceramic even though i didn't want it. That's all they offered on summit that had everything else i wanted. Ordered the 3" y pipe since there's no one around here that said they'd make one. Magnaflow cat single in and out, 3" on both sides then magnaflow muffler with duel 2.5" out. Let's see if the clowns doing the work can weld the cat into the y since its offroad pipe. All they have is 2.5" aluminized but that's all I need for the rest. Stainless is too expensive and nobody can weld it. Ordered 52mm tb also. All this should open it up a lot and be pretty permanent. Then onto the next purchase! Truck only has 85k on it so should be good for awhile as long as the transmission holds up. I know how bad they are. Prob look at the suspension since the shift kits are known for wearing them out.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Lots of cheap headers are made of regular steel tubing. Usually the come painted black, which burns off the first time you drive it, leaving you with bare metal.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

So I dropped too much money but should work well. Ended up getting ceramic jba shorties with 2.5" collector flange. I paid for the ceramic even though i didn't want it. That's all they offered on summit that had everything else i wanted. Ordered the 3" y pipe since there's no one around here that said they'd make one. Magnaflow cat single in and out, 3" on both sides then magnaflow muffler with duel 2.5" out. Let's see if the clowns doing the work can weld the cat into the y since its offroad pipe. All they have is 2.5" aluminized but that's all I need for the rest. Stainless is too expensive and nobody can weld it. Ordered 52mm tb also. All this should open it up a lot and be pretty permanent. Then onto the next purchase! Truck only has 85k on it so should be good for awhile as long as the transmission holds up. I know how bad they are. Prob look at the suspension since the shift kits are known for wearing them out.
Sounds like an excellent system. (and right in line with the PM I sent you. Sorry about the delay there.....)

Aluminized pipe will last a long time. Even if they use salt on your roads.

The ceramic coating reduces underhood temps, by keeping the heat IN the headers, hotter exhaust gases maintain flow velocity better. Granted, it's an expensive "option".... but, it IS effective.

We expect some videos with audio of the new system.