2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help with Anti freeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok couple questions i can get a torque wrench from shop and i can get torque specs for plenum and i will get a better gasket than autozone.. im also going to get a hack saw and cut off my cat and just straight pipe it for now but what do i do with the O2 sensor in the meantime? when i pull the O2 sensor off will my check engine light come on? its never been on i tryed to scan it at autozone but they wouldnt because of the CEL wasnt on. any ways do i just disconnect the O2 sensor and forget about it until i redo the exaust? or do i have to rig it up in the mean time?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will get a code with it out, and truck will try to run rich due to missing signal. You could do a search for something like "O2 sensor trick" or something like that - i don;t remember what it is called. Need a port to keep it in the system.

Autozone carries FelPro.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

what do u mean truck will try to run rich? and will that be a problem? i dont want to fix one thing and have another thing **** up. i will check the search and try to rephrase if nothing pops up.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
what do u mean truck will try to run rich? and will that be a problem? i dont want to fix one thing and have another thing **** up. i will check the search and try to rephrase if nothing pops up.

O2 sensor measures exhaust for burned/unburned fuel. If the exhaust is too lean, PCM will adjust and make fule mixture richer, when too rich, it will make it more lean. Only problem will be stuck in rich the whole time, and consume more gas and exhaust will smell of gas. If you can weld a spark plug anti fouler adapter into pipe then you can screw O2 sensor in it.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

yea i googled spark plug non-fouler trick and got a bunch of hits it looks really easy and cheap it looks as if i can drill a hole in the straight pipe and put a defouler in there than screw the defouler with the 02 sensor into that i just need to figure out if im missing a step the video i watched still had a cat it wasnt a straight pipe ill keep looking... than i need to figure out this damn anti freeze leak. i paid 2,500 for the truck in four weeks i finish the loan for it which will help with cash and once the holidays are done.. the body is mint except for the bumber and one rusted fender

Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 PM
gdstock
Legend

I'd put it in the straight pipe. Better than running witout O2.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

yea im going to. as i said its scheduled for the shop monday if i dont bring it in earlier (because of the anti freeze) than im going to shell out 50 bucks and get the straight pipe defouler some clamps gasket and spend my turkey day weekend working on my truck eating food and watching football its a perfect weekend not to mention 4 days of from work

Quick Reply: help with Anti freeze leak