2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help with Anti freeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with Anti freeze leak

So this morning i go out my house and go to get in my truck, i happen to look down and see a little puddle of anti freeze... if your facing the front end its on the left side. I tryed to see where it was coming from couldnt really see anything however what i did notice is on the lip where the oil pan meets the engine there was a sludge mix of oil and anti freeze. I dont know if its all related or if the anti freeze sat on some old build up and made the sludge. I know that my resevoir for anti freeze doesnt hold anything very well so theres a problem somewhere. Ive had the truck for bout three months but never had sighns of a leak. Once in a while i would smell a sweet smell while driving but always thought it was from a tranny that needs work .... my truck has kinda hard loud shift when putting into drive or park some times and has a problem accelerating from full throttle. Its fine when i begain a slow acceleration and steadily add pressure to the gas peddle. Ive heard alot of talk about plenum and havent been able to check if mine already had a plenum kit or if it needs one. as far as the acceleration issue I dont know if my cat is clogged or if its a plenum problem or a slipping tranny or what. (theres alot of rust on the under carriage) Is it possible that the anti freeze had an internal leak hence the smell and crappy resevoir causing loss of power than that internal leak just became a external. Or does my truck just have a slew of issues? I did my oil about 2400 miles ago and bout 6 days ago i started to hear my lifters when excelerating so i checked my oil and it was low. now this... I dont have much experience yet i enjoy fixing/improving my truck ive done spark plugs spark plug wires oil changes tranny filters and transfer case fluids starters and brakes thats the brunt of my experience so if any one has any help id Truly Appreciate it. I cant afford a shop and my truck is everything to me.... Thank You again

Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to break it, but as you suspect, you have aslew of issues. Coolant will ot cause the loss of power, unless a head is cracked, but I think it is most likely the plenum. Check and see if ther is oil inside looking through the throttle body.

Coolant and oil where you indicated may be the timing cover housing. You may get lucky and it may be leaknig at the tstat housing and you can only see it lower. See below:

Name:  IMG00207-20111022-1425.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  70.6 KB

I assume that since you did not mention that there was water in the oil that it was oil only.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

tomorrow at work when im at lunch i will take the hat assembly off and a flash light and look in the manifold... One thing I forgot to mention is when i first got the truck it whent to the shop and they said that one of the freeze plugs had been replaced but not the other one on the same side... i was just looking for a DIY on the freeze plug. Maybe the puddle came from there???
as for the power i do believe it is one of two things The bands adj. and/or governer solenoid needs to be cleaned and the plenum. when i first got the truck i was inspecting it and cleaning it while doing that i put a whole in the muffler. the bed started to get hot! and had a burn mark my tranny started acting up i checked the fluid it was dark. so i changed the filter but didnt do the bands or clean the solenoid. however the truck stopped acting funny when driving. by funny i mean i would be at a steady speed and it would drop out of gear and like go back into gear it would stay driving but you could hear and feel it. after i changed the filter and put ATF4 it stopped doing that and the color was normal. i fixed my muffler and the color stayed normal.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

You can pull out the upstream O2 sensor and see if it runs better. If so, that indicates plenum and the cat is clogged.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

ill check the diy section for the 02 sensor

Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

when i changed the spark plugs number 1 had alot of what looked like dark mud or old oil sludge that was like dirt

Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
when i changed the spark plugs number 1 had alot of what looked like dark mud or old oil sludge that was like dirt

Blown plenum gasket can suck oil into intake manifold, and into combustion cylinder. Here is what mine looked like"

Name:  Ramplenumplateandblowngasket.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  IMG00218-20111022-1802.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  34.6 KB

If you look down through throttle body with flashlight you may see oil inside. Not all of them have as much as mine did.

This oil not only fouls plugs, as it does not burn completely, it clogs cat and destroys O2 sensor.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

i cant find a DIY 02. could you tell me where to look for it? maybe a picture or something. by the way my truck has 134k miles

Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 PM
gdstock
Legend

I can't find anything other than people having O2 issues. The one to pull is the upstream, It will be in front of cat or pipe just ahead of it. Are you getting a CEL?

Just pull O2 out with O2 socket and remove. This will help determine if cat is clogged.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

what is CEL?

Quick Reply: help with Anti freeze leak