2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying a Ram and transmission concerns help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
11Past9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Ram and transmission concerns help

I am seeing a lot of Rams in my price range, my ex had a 2001 Sport extended cab 4x4 with 107k and first gear was already slipping. We sold it, it was a 5.9L Auto. Are there any rams that aren't ticking transmission time bombs? I need a 4wd to DD and really like these but I need to be able to count on it.

What others issues should I be worried about? Also how much is it to replace a trans in one of these and how long does it last once you replace it? Are transmissions the only expensive issues these trucks face?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Pronk
Professional

A transmission fix should be the only really expensive fix for these trucks, rebuilding your transmission can cost anywhere from 1k+. The other problem these trucks have is the plenum. Just do a search for the plenum repair and you will find all the info you will ever need.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

There's a sticky thread on the plenum issue, LOTS of good info there.

All of the trannies are ticking time bombs. Some folks get 40K out of 'em, other are well over 150K and still on a stock, still working trans. (Me...... I think...... )

Take any potential candidate for a test drive, and drive it hard for 15 minutes or so, if the trans isn't spot on, figger it is gonna give you issues. Weak points were the torque converters, and, unfortunately, the overdrive unit..... snap ring likes to blow apart, and then the trans munches itself up.

Transfer case has a snap ring that likes to abandon shaft as well. Gotta drop the rear driveshaft, and pull the tailshaft housing to inspect it though.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Terribly
Rookie

If you dont want to worry about transmissions in a Ram, buy a manual with the NV4500

Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

..but make sure you keep fluid in it!!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-go-boom.html

lolz jk!!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take any potential candidate for a test drive, and drive it hard for 15 minutes or so, if the trans isn't spot on, figger it is gonna give you issues.
I rodded the p155 out of mine (with just 96k miles on the clock) during the test drive and still developed a sloppy 3-4 shift within 2000 miles. But it was a good excuse to buy that Mega Viper I'd been drooling over, so I wasn't too mad about it.

Quick Reply: Buying a Ram and transmission concerns help