2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I've got two issues here, main being the horn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Rebel99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got two issues here, main being the horn!

Alright I bought my 99ram from a guy who said he punched the horn at one point and it randomly went off at times, so he disconnected it. Problem is, when I reconnect it, it just goes off.

Any ideas on how to remedy this issue?

Other problem, belt gets a bit squeaky in the summer, now that its colder its down to a chirp. I *think* it might be the pully on the bottom left (not sure the name of it), the reason I think it might be this one, is because I can grab both sides and make it wiggle a little bit, and I cant do this to the rest.

Could it be the cause? If so how do I tighten it?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Josheis
Professional

If you mean the tensioner pulley those do wear out there only like $30-$40 for a new one.
They are supposed to be replaced with the belt but not many people do. As for the horn either something shorted out or when he punched it he could have possibly got the switch stuck in the steering wheel.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the belt, is the belt new or old. It could be that it's old and stretched out.

As for the horn. I had this issue on another car. The horn contacts on the steering broke and would vibrate and set it off every bump or so. Only way to see is to check out the switch.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the horn relay also. It's in the PDC behind the battery.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Rebel99

Thanks for the reply guys.

- The belt isn't old, still has life in it. I also doubt the pulley was changed out.

I'll try and see if I can manage to get the steering column apart and see if I can't figure out whats wrong. Relay as well.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel99
Thanks for the reply guys.

- The belt isn't old, still has life in it. I also doubt the pulley was changed out.

I'll try and see if I can manage to get the steering column apart and see if I can't figure out whats wrong. Relay as well.

Before yanking steering column apart, I suggest doing the easy thing first. As HeyYou suggestd, check horn relay. Contacts in relays sometimes get weled together and continue to maintain contact. Swith it with another realy and see if it fixrs the problem. If it does, don't forget which relay you swapped - as it will now be jacked.
Column can be tricky! Something about a clockspring thinggy.....

And have you downloaded manual from FAQ/DIY section?

Photo of pulley you suspect? My tensioner is not on the bottom. And if it is the tensioner, you can just replace the bearing on this if there is an industrial supply place around (or grainger.com). Gott be cheaper than dealer price!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Rebel99

It's not the bottom, but its below the first on the left. Middle I guess. From what I can tell yea its the tensioner.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Rebel99

Switched out the horns relay and its now "fixed" for now, pass for an inspection anyways (which was my goal). Now the pulley... Is there supposed to be any movement in the pulley (slight wobble)? cause if thats not suppose to happen I think if I got the tool to do so I could tighten it up and solve that problem, though I don't know how it being cold would solve my sound issue, cause its not even chirping now that its down to 40-50f.

Edit- Its the pulley right below my alternator

Last edited by Rebel99; 11-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel99
Switched out the horns relay and its now "fixed" for now, pass for an inspection anyways (which was my goal). Now the pulley... Is there supposed to be any movement in the pulley (slight wobble)? cause if thats not suppose to happen I think if I got the tool to do so I could tighten it up and solve that problem, though I don't know how it being cold would solve my sound issue, cause its not even chirping now that its down to 40-50f.

It should only rotate, no slop or wobble. I looked for bearing number in the garage just now - must have thrown the box away. If you have time, you can knock the bearing out of the pulley. Any industrial supply or bearing house can match. Mine cost about $6.80. AZ and Orieley's probably sell tensioner as a unit.

If this pulley wobbles it will eat the belt at some point.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the horn relay also. It's in the PDC behind the battery.

Howdo i check a relay? when i bought my truck my horn didnt work now my fog lights ive read on here it can be the pcm but id like to check my relays...

Quick Reply: I've got two issues here, main being the horn!