2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLEASE HELP!!! 2001 Sport that whines.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
2001sportgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PLEASE HELP!!! 2001 Sport that whines.

Ok, so here is my problem. I have a 2001 5.2L 4x4 manual that just started whining. We put a new transmission and Sacks clutch in it about 8 months ago. We haven't had any problems out of it. Last week, the truck was spewing gear oil out of the pinion seal. We replaced it on Friday. It has been running just fine until Saturday. Now it makes a whining noise when you drive. Almost like a jet engine. You push down the clutch, the noise softens. I notice it in 3rd and 4 th gears. The other gears I don't know about because of tire noise. The truck has 12-18inches of lift. The heater core is out and it loses water somewhere. sometimes the cab smells like antifreeze. But that is a different problem. I hope its not the transmission because we just bought it and the warranty is out. There is plenty of fluid in the rear axle, transmission, and motor. What is wrong with it? I love dodge trucks and i converted my die hard, bleed Ford blue boyfriend to Dodge, but this truck is possessed or something. Been nothing but problems.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Put the rear up on jackstands, and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from. If the front pinion seal went out though, that is usually a sign of bearing failure.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 pm putting on stands to check rear end. Also, coolant smell will be the heater core leaking.
Auto transmission or standard?
You can download a service manual in the FAQ/DIY section to help with these things.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
2001sportgirl

It is a manual. We didn't have to replace the pinion seal. When we took the drive shaft down, we noticed that the nut in the middle was loose. Changed the seal to be on the safe side and tightened the nut. No rear end noise. Not sure where its coming from. Kind of hard to put it up on stands because of how tall the truck is.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
chadhager03
Captain

It'll be the easiest way to determine it, you could take it to a pep boys or local auto shop and see if they'll put it on the lift for you to find the noise or they might do a free diagnosis. You're shooting in the dark not knowing where it's coming from and car bullets aren't cheep lol

Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
rkrieg3

Not sure what the problem could be, but I would love to see a pic of an 01 Sport with 10-12 inches of lift!!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
2001sportgirl

I do all of my internet stuff from my phone because out in the boondocks we don't have regular internet. I have a pic on my facebook page, but thats it. LOL. Trust me its nice. I het made fun of and picked on a lot because of how tall it is and I am only 5'6". I am thankful for the step bars. I am getting ready to put a roll bar in the bed as well. If I don't get frustrated with the damn thing first. The truck had 89000 miles when we got it 3 years ago. We have sunk in about $2000 to get it runnibg half decent. Now it has 103500 miles on it and we just replaced both oxygen.sensors and thr check engine light is on and is saying high voltage to the oxygen sensors. Sometimes when you get going in first gear it starts to go slugish and then shift into second and then the truck starts to shake. Push the clutch in and rev the motor or shut it off and restart and its fine. What gives? Just another quirk i guess. Maybe I need a witch doctor to rid the thing of evil spirits or something.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Put the jack stands under the axle. Pile some boards under there if you have to. You want the suspension in its normal position. (don't lift it up by the frame, not that I think you could lift it far enough anyway. )

The nut being torqued to the proper value applies a preload to the pinion bearings, if the nut comes loose, the bearings can get out of position, and will wear really funny in short order.

Witch Doctors are listed in the yellow pages I think....... Should be able to find one online at least.

I think you have more than one issue going on there, tackle 'em one at a time. The whine promises to be the most expensive, so, find out where that is coming from first.

Something else you may want to investigate is the snap ring on the rear output shaft of the t-case. It likes to abandon shaft, and allows the shaft to walk in the case. That eats things up pretty quick, can make for some truly nasty noises, and in worst case, can grenade the t-case......

Find your whine.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!!! 2001 Sport that whines.