2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wtf did my sct just fry my pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
jacksdak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a contact phone # from the sct website 407-774-2447 mon - fri 9am-6pm est.Hope it helps.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
KxRideRon125
Veteran

now im having second thoughts about getting this tuner bc ive almost got the money to get it

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 PM
FC3S Murray

I have the tuner and countless others do too. You will be fine, this little hic up is an anomaly.

We dont know what happened, could be internal hardware failure of the pcm itself and the sct was just the unlucky catalyst

Buy it, you will like it. Remember the tune is only as good as the running condition of your truck. If your engine is neglected, the tune wont let you feel its full potential.

Last edited by FC3S Murray; 12-07-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FC3S Murray
I have the tuner and countless others do too. You will be fine, this little hic up is an anomaly.

We dont know what happened, could be internal hardware failure of the pcm itself and the sct was just the unlucky catalyst

Buy it, you will like it. Remember the tune is only as good as the running condition of your truck. If your engine is neglected, the tune wont let you feel its full potential.
Yeah ive never heard of anyone else having this problem,thats what is so wierd.

Anyways called sct yesterday, talked to a support tech named brain, and he has been helping me out alot, making folllow up calls, rebooting the tuner and more.
im very happy with his customer support. so far the tuner still wont tune the truck but brian is doing all he can over the phone.

I hope he calls back today to finish where we left off, I really just want my truck back to normal!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm reaching here, and will be the first to admit it- but-

a partial program is a bad thing, which is in effect what you did when the SCT failed mid-stride.. it could have been the SCT, or it could have been the PCM, it could have been caused by loss of connectivity (wiring compromise) or one computer not syncing with the other computer in an expected manner.. a whole host of things could cause the issue you suffered..

on top of that, computers DO have personalities.. not something that they develop like a kid, but small, seemingly unimportant deviations in clock speed, or the computers ability to write/read.. if one is expecting a 'conversation' at a certain pace, and the other doesn't respond quick enough- or one is speaking too fast and the other can't parse it- it will freeze.. lock it up tight..

when you're programming, this is the last thing you want to happen.. you're erasing whole parts of a program whilst re-writing them on the fly.. the connection between those two computers is crucial and can't be stopped mid-stride.. or, what happens is what happened to you.. partial loading of programs..

and another complication: you can only program a computer so many times.. it is a huge number of times, that you're hopeless to reach in most cases, but it is still there.. your PCM is slower now than it ever has been.. it's getting slower.. really slight changes, but changes all the same..

every time i program, i hold my breath.. it worries the crap out of me..

for this reason, and after reading your thread, I think I'll hit Sean up for a 'recovery' file.. I want that bad bear on hand in the case I lose crucial parts of software due to partial/interrupted programming..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Well I just got off the phone with sct.

Brain, the support tech #9 was extremely helpful and knowledgable. He connected to my, home pc remotely and programed the tuner via the usb cord I had to buy.

Took maybe 5 minutes to put the recovery file on the tuner and another 5 to reflash the trucks pcm.
Turned the key and my truck came to LIFE!

Im so happy now, but after this little hiccup and reading what drew just wrote I think im just gonna leave my computer alone once I set it to the 87 tune.

Thanks yall for your help, also for everyone else who has a sct, I would save that corporate phone # posted earlier.
I waited almost a full week for a reply to my email, but when I called I had my truck running in 2 days!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to read you got your pcm back up and working. If you think you are the only one that has this happened to them that would be wrong, I would say at least 4 others have posted this happing to them over the last year and thats just in the 2nd gen area. At lest you posted your end results.

Did they pay for your tow and other pcm you had to get?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Nah I didnt ask about any refund, I was just happy to see my truck start.

As for the 360 pcm I gave it to my brother who has a 99 360 sport, after installing it he was questioning weather it would do anything.

He started his truck up and drive around the neighborhood, when he got back he said his truck finally had *****!

So I let him keep it, after-all it was his friend who gave it to me for free so whatever.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 AM
anthony donald

how do u i knw if i fried my pcm in my 2000 cummins

Old 05-28-2012, 01:09 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it doing?