2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 AM
jsam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinker problem

Hey guys looking for a little input please. The other night I was coming up to a red light and i turned on my left blinker and i noticed as i was slowing down, (applying brake) and the RPM's were going down that my blinker started flashing really slow, and it was flashing normal speed a few seconds ago as I was driving. As i was stopped at the red light it stopped flashing and stayed on solid, as if a bulb was burned out but they all worked. As I was slowing down, coming up to the red light, none of my other lights dimed in brightness at all and my gauges all had good readings. I try right blinker, stayed on solid, no flashing. I try hazards and they work fine. So last few days im driving around maually moving my blinkers to get them to flash. I was 99% sure it wasn't the flasher fuse because then it wouldn't turn on at all. So anyway, I go to parts store, buy fuse, go out to truck and start it turn on blinker its solid. I open hood to check something not related, as i close hood the blinker starts flashing. I didn't even open the fuse panel yet or touch anything. Now its flashing like nothing even happened. Could this be a ground issue? I'm no good at chasing electrical problems, please help.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, if your no good at chasing wiring problems, here's your chance to practice. With you closing the hood and they start to blink normally, that tells Me it is something loose. Whether it be bulbs, wire connections, fuses, relays, or possibly one of the wires themselves.

I suggest to turn them on with the key on and start wiggling all that is related, starting at one spot working through the whole system.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by kejobe
Well, if your no good at chasing wiring problems, here's your chance to practice. With you closing the hood and they start to blink normally, that tells Me it is something loose. Whether it be bulbs, wire connections, fuses, relays, or possibly one of the wires themselves.

I suggest to turn them on with the key on and start wiggling all that is related, starting at one spot working through the whole system.

+1 on that.. Also look for any splits or bare wires that could cause them to be shorting out.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect the turn signal flasher first, as long as the lights outside are lit solid and the indicator lights on the dash are also. The hazards are on a different flasher.

The flasher isn't a fuse, it's a thermal relay that makes the lights blink, it's either round or square in the fuse panel.

Last edited by newman1367; 12-03-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Terribly
Rookie

Originally Posted by newman1367
I would suspect the turn signal flasher first, as long as the lights outside are lit solid and the indicator lights on the dash are also. The hazards are on a different flasher.

The flasher isn't a fuse, it's a thermal relay that makes the lights blink, it's either round or square in the fuse panel.
Plus one on that too. Also disconnect all the connections in the circuit (one at a time) and chaeck for any corrosion. If you find any, Permatex makes an aerosol spray cleaner for connectors.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 AM
jsam

Ok great i'll check into all this, and thanks alot for the input. Oh yea, sorry about that, your right its not a fuse. So when a thermal relay is going bad can it stick closed causing this problem, or will it just go out completely similar to a fuse? Yea your also correct about the thermal relay, its round and I think the #'s on it are 552.

Last edited by jsam; 12-04-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can go bad either way.
They can stick closed or open.

Quick Reply: blinker problem