2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Ecoastmotion
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing issues?

Hey all back again to ask for your help again...........

Poked around on the Forums here and found this article (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...art-now-4.html) that was pretty helpful but i had a few questions.
Did the Plenum repair on my truck a few weeks ago. During the process i replaced the whole distributor(Cap and Rotor too.). Followed steps in service manual stating to mark orientation of the distributor and so on and so forth, transferred the markings over to the new dist. and fired it up and ran well for a day or so then it threw a code for a malfunctioning cam position sensor. Shut the truck down and then it wouldn't start. Ran the code and did some research and it all seemed to line up so i ordered the part and let the truck sit for about a week. Went to go fix it today, it fired right up and ran fine ( for the 50 feet i needed to move it from the driveway to the garage) shut it down and took off the cap to replace the "bad" sensor. Tossed the new sensor in and buttoned everything back up and fired it up. Now it started fine, but throttle response is terrible and the motor seems to be hesitating badly, and it has an irregular backfire (slight popping from the exhaust). Checked all connections, checked for vacuum leaks, went back and re checked my installation and made sure TDC and rotor alignment were correct and it was all fine. Now it is my understanding that the Distributor is either in or out, and the way to fix it is rotate 180 and reinstall. Now i know the dist. is in the correct way because it ran great (with the exception of the cam sensor thing) prior to me replacing the "bad" sensor. Called a mechanic friend and he recommended rotating the distributor slightly to adjust the timing. Does this sound like a timing issue to anyone? Thanks in advance for the help!

Oh and i know it might be a bad new sensor so i am not ruling that out just wanted to here what you all think it might be. Ill be back at it again tomorrow trying to get this thing running right.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you siconect the battery before you changed the sensor? If not, diconnect it for a bit and then reconnect and try again. PCM has to relearn the sensors.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you pulled or even turned the dizzy, you need to have fuel sync set.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Ecoastmotion
.....Called a mechanic friend and he recommended rotating the distributor slightly to adjust the timing. Does this sound like a timing issue to anyone? ....

Just so you know, you cannot set the timing on these engines by turning distributor. So I agree with kejobe - you got to have the fuel sync set now. (I missed that part at first read)

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Just so you know, you cannot set the timing on these engines by turning distributor. So I agree with kejobe - you got to have the fuel sync set now. (I missed that part at first read)

I am going to third this motion. Find a shop that can set it for you. Shouldn't be too hideously expensive. You may be setting the cam sensor code BECAUSE sync is too far off. (it doesn't take much, I think it only has a tolerance of like 7 degrees......)

Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Ecoastmotion
Amateur

Thanks guys that was something that didnt make sense to me. Turning the distributor to set timing may apply to some vehicles but i know it doesnt apply to all. So just so im on the same page, pulling the distributor will automatically throw off your fuel sync?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
gdstock
Legend

Thanks guys that was something that didnt make sense to me. Turning the distributor to set timing may apply to some vehicles but i know it doesnt apply to all. So just so im on the same page, pulling the distributor will automatically throw off your fuel sync?

I wouldn't say "automatically." Theoretically, if you put is back EXACTLY in the correct position, it should be good. But EXACTLY is the issue. 7 degrees as Hey You mentioned is not easy to hit. So in all practicality, yes, pulling the distributer pretty much assures that you need to have fuel sync reset.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Ecoastmotion
Amateur

Alrighty time to start finding a place to get this done. Not a lot of Dodge dealerships in the area. Thanks for the help everyone....ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Alrighty time to start finding a place to get this done. Not a lot of Dodge dealerships in the area. Thanks for the help everyone....ill let you know how it turns out.
A well equipped independent shop should be able to do it as well. Best bet would be to call around, and ask.

Quick Reply: Timing issues?