2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
plott hound
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird starting problem

for the past year my '96 5.2 ram 1500 has had a weird starting issue.it will start after cranking over for about 5 seconds,but if i bump the starter wait a second then bump starter again it fires right up.i read on the forum here recently that another member had a similar problem.cant remember if it was a preasure regulator on fuel pump or what.i changed the fuel pump 3 or 4 years ago so i hope that is not the problem.any suggestions???

cheers.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check fuel pressure at startup. Does it only do it after it has been sitting for a while? If so, that's a sign the that check valve has failed. (no worries really, just the problem you currently have.) Try turning the key to on, but, not cranking, listen for the pump to prime, when it stops, turn the key off, then try and start the truck, it should fire right up.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
plott hound
Professional

ok heyyou,will try that afterwork tomorrow.where is the check valve?

cheers

Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine will crank a few times before firing in the morning. Always has. I just turn the key to on, wait till the pump stops, then start. Fires right up.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think the check valve is in the filter/regulator assembly on top of the fuel pump module. (you can see it with the tank in the truck, if you can bend funny.) According to popular theory, that part IS serviceable separately.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
plott hound
Professional

well hopefully i wont have serious trouble with this issue for awhile.if i get through the winter with this small issue i can deal with it then.crazy thing is i replaced the fuel pump before i had trouble,now the after market one is causeing trouble.glad i saved the original,might just slap that sucker back in.

Quick Reply: weird starting problem