2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 missing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM
a-hall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
Make sure that you got the correct plugs in there. It could be that you got the wrong ones. Also, I know people generally tend to think MSD is the "all mighty" when it comes to wires, but they do arc if not routed correctly. Try this just to rule out arcing. get a spray bottle and MIST the cable's. Do this in the dark/semi dark. It will help show if your cable's are arcing or not. Either way, ROUTE YOUR CABLE'S VIA THE TSB!!! Also, I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that the cat or exhaust is plugged...I'm with you on that one GDSTOCK.
whats gonna plug the exhaust? Carbon buildup? its only a year and a half old. How can i check the cat if it is so called "plugged"? Also i just bought new ntk o2sensors and mopar plugs, mopar rotor button, and mopor cap.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Remove the pre-cat O2 from the exhaust. You can unplug it, or not, up to you. (I would....) Take it for a drive. Run better? Cat is clogged.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a-hall
whats gonna plug the exhaust? Carbon buildup? its only a year and a half old. How can i check the cat if it is so called "plugged"
If the cat is clogged, some of that honey comb can lodge itself in the intermediate pipe. Hence, clogged exhaust. When my cat went out on me, part of it got stuck in the tail pipe. Right above the axle where there's a hump in the pipe.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 PM
a-hall
Rookie

alright i did some expirementation. Pulled the front o2 sensor. drove the truck. couldnt get the check engine light to flash even tho it was already on. The truck drove fine but was trying to run rich cause i could smell it. Drove back home put o2 sensor back in. Let it cool then droveit again idle was fine and when i got on the gas sure enough i could get the check engine light to flash. came home changed the plugs, dist cap and rotor button, installed new ntk o2 sensors. Old plugs looked great but were all soaked in gasoline. put back in mopar champion plugs and the truck performs flawlessly. No missing at idle or underload. we will see how long it lasts. Also the old o2 sensors looked awful. full of black carbon and therefore i think they were fouling cause the engine to load up on fuel and miss. (hopefully)

Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by a-hall
alright i did some expirementation. Pulled the front o2 sensor. drove the truck. couldnt get the check engine light to flash even tho it was already on. The truck drove fine but was trying to run rich cause i could smell it. Drove back home put o2 sensor back in. Let it cool then droveit again idle was fine and when i got on the gas sure enough i could get the check engine light to flash. came home changed the plugs, dist cap and rotor button, installed new ntk o2 sensors. Old plugs looked great but were all soaked in gasoline. put back in mopar champion plugs and the truck performs flawlessly. No missing at idle or underload. we will see how long it lasts. Also the old o2 sensors looked awful. full of black carbon and therefore i think they were fouling cause the engine to load up on fuel and miss. (hopefully)
Blown plenum will trash O2s, and cat over time. Have you dealt with that yet?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 AM
a-hall
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Blown plenum will trash O2s, and cat over time. Have you dealt with that yet?
Plenum is still good.cat is clean. Truck is doing great. the o2 sensor change did the trick. Everyone thnks for the help

Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulling tohe O2 sensor will also cause it to run rich and may even dump enought fuel to wet plugs. Just saying....Hope problem is resolved, but if it comes back, I have to agree with cat issue.

Quick Reply: 318 missing