2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

posi-lok cable 4wd pops out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011 | 10:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
+1 on this, i'm guessing on direction - but try screwing the adjustment in, so the cable pulls the fork MORE to the drivers side for deeper engagement of the collar onto the intermediate shaft.

for anyone with difficult engagement of the collar - this will occur irregardless of vac or cable operation. tight is tight. the collar slide can be tight due to either bushing/bearing misalignment at the axle half junction, or due to burrs on the axle splines or collar. you have to pull the outer axle out a little to get to the small bushing or collar. you have to pull it all the way out to get the damn inner axle half out. you can remove burrs with a small file. if it slides back and forth easily with finger pressure, then the cad mechanism can work right. if it doesn't slide easily with finger pressure, then the cad won't work worth a flip either.

+1 on the adjusting screw. This is where the directions stink. Took mine apart three times before I figured out to center the adjusting screw before adjusting the cable down at the CAD(per directions).

Old 12-10-2011 | 10:50 AM
yellowtruck
|
Rookie

What you mean center adjusting screw you mean. The one on the housing or the one on the cable inside the cab

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:02 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The one inside first. Turn it all the way to one side. Then turn it the opposite direction while counting the turns. Then turn it back the other way half that amount. Then adjust the cable per directions down at the CAD. This way the **** will have equal amount of adjustablity in either direction.

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:04 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

the one on the CAD cover plate. it has an inch or more of adjustment where the cable screws into the plate.

note the e-clips on the shaft on the inside of the housing and whether they are touching the housing or not.... they should not be. i also adjusted mine so that when the cab **** was pulled, it almost bottomed out one e-clip, and when i pushed the **** in, it almost bottomed the other one.

edit, damn i can't get in a word anywhere without zman scooping me.

edit2 - damn a second time. i guess i did mine backwards.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 12-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2011 | 11:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the one on the CAD cover plate. it has an inch or more of adjustment where the cable screws into the plate.

note the e-clips on the shaft on the inside of the housing and whether they are touching the housing or not.... they should not be. i also adjusted mine so that when the cab **** was pulled, it almost bottomed out one e-clip, and when i pushed the **** in, it almost bottomed the other one.

edit, damn i can't get in a word anywhere without zman scooping me.

edit2 - damn a second time. i guess i did mine backwards.

.... You have to set the **** first(because you can adjust it) The Cad end is permanent. Adjusting the **** before,after or during is what's left out the the directions. At least there was no mention of the **** at all in my directions(excpet for pushing and pulling it).

And for the love of God "yellowtruck" , would you please take a couple minutes and go to your userCP and fill out your sig and profile? LOL

Last edited by zman17; 12-10-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: posi-lok cable 4wd pops out