2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck shook and didnt move

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
you got metal shavings in you're tranny from the converter?first time i ever heard the converter can do that.well i just got home from work the truck ran ok today going back from work im going outside to check the tranny fluid hope my trannys ok ugh.but yeah im pretty sure the converter is going bad the truck keeps bucking me forward for a few seconds a few times a week and then last night the truck shook and didnt move for 20 seconds then it was ok.

I had metal shavings due to the converter going bad and it just went down the line in the tranny. Converter grenaded and caused other things to screw up resulting in metal shavings about a 1/8 inch thick in the pan

Old 12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

ok I just droped off my truck to my mechanic he said it sounds like the torque converter.its $1,800 for a tranny shop to put in a new one?or is that for a new converter and tranny rebuild?but isnt all this a sign of a bad catalytic converter also?I dont know how hes going to figure out whats wrong cause it doesnt do it everytime I drive the truck.if its just the cat then ill fix the truck if its the torque converter then ill have to think about it cause my truck needs new front brake lines to now im putting more money into the truck than its worth it sucks.grrrrrr

Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
ok I just droped off my truck to my mechanic he said it sounds like the torque converter.its $1,800 for a tranny shop to put in a new one?or is that for a new converter and tranny rebuild?but isnt all this a sign of a bad catalytic converter also?I dont know how hes going to figure out whats wrong cause it doesnt do it everytime I drive the truck.if its just the cat then ill fix the truck if its the torque converter then ill have to think about it cause my truck needs new front brake lines to now im putting more money into the truck than its worth it sucks.grrrrrr
Fairly standard for a used vehicle, with a bunch of miles. Question becomes, is it worth it to YOU? Or, would you rather gamble on buying something else, and what problems you will have with the replacement?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

If the truck is solid and low miles I would put the tranny in it I know 1800 is a large jump just for a tranny but you should have nothing to worry about for the next few thousand miles. I had 101 on mine and I hope to get another 100 thousand out of it. Been a great truck. To be honest best truck Ive owned compared to other 1/2 ton 4x4s ive had in the past. These trucks just take a little tlc to keep em going lol

And to answer your question 1800 would be for entire rebuild converter included I would assume. And what makes you think the CAT. is causing the shudder?

Ill post a pic of my reciept so you can see what I had done for the 1800

Last edited by 97Rampowerhouse; 12-08-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

ok well heres the thing my truck needs all new front brake lines i cant do it dont know how.they told me from $800 to $1200.SO converter lets say $1800 and brake lines $1200 thast 3 grand my front bake lines are rotted really bad so they need to be done .so yeah i know what you guys mean but its not worth it to me but im having a tranny shop do some tests on my truck on monday and see whats up.I think ill just trade it in or sell it as is after the tranny shop gives me a price to a newer dodge ram.up here in connecticut we get alot of rust under the trucks from all the salt on the roads and mines pretty rust.so sorry to say i wont be keeping it.unless I get some cheaper prices

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 12-09-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

8 to 12 hundred bucks for brake lines? Are they replacing them with solid gold ones? If you have a few minor hand tools, some time, a friend, and some brake fluid, you could replace every line in the truck for less than a hundred bucks.

1800 bucks had better be a complete trans rebuild.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if your gonna do it, do it right. Track down Unregistered User and his auto transmission advice.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Originally Posted by 2x1972
And if your gonna do it, do it right. Track down Unregistered User and his auto transmission advice.

^^^^^This is very true. Anyway I would not be taking my truck to the same guy you did 1200 for brake lines? Like Heyyou said a friend and a flaring tool and line and fittings and its very easy.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

ok today i dropped my truck off to a tranny shop to see whats up.he told me it doesnt sound like the torq converter cause when the truck didnt move and shook after a few minutes it moved again without shutting off the truck.he told me if the converter was bad i would of had to shut the truck off to get it going again and he thinks its an issue with the engine does this sound right?But he's checking it anyway tuesday morning for me so i dropped it off today on my way home.yeah he said $1,800 to rebuild it like you said if its bad.Did you have to shut you're truck off to get it going again when your converter was bad?6 month 6k mile warranty whatever comes first.

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 12-13-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said is not always the case. Sometimes the TC bleeds out when it sits, and will not fill again until it is in gear, having fluid pumped through it, in which case it takes a little while to fill up and be driveable. This sounds like your case to me.

Quick Reply: truck shook and didnt move