2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clicking noise? 4wd slips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 PM
myramsbroke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise? 4wd slips?

well winter's here, no best time i can think of to clear out all the bugs in my four wheel drive hah.

ive been hearing a clicking noise coming from the front driver's side tire on my truck (its a 97 1/2 ton) i figured it was my universal goin out but i checked it and its still tight.
last week we got about 8 inches of snow and my driveway has quite a hill so i grabbed four wheel knowing i cant make it up in two wheel, well the clicking got louder, some grinding noises joined in and my four wheel drive slipped in and out as i slid back down the driveway.

ive had a friend of mine (who owns an auto repair shop) look at it, he drove it and said it sounded like a loose or broken chain in my t-case.
im not saying i dont trust that he knows what hes talking about, just trying to understand why a clicking noise coming from my hub area means my chain is loose in my transfer case? and if anyone has any other suggestions on what it could be?

any help would be greatly appreciated, its a long, cold walk to the bottom of the driveway and i'd like to be able to make it to my house lol

Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

When my transfer case chain started wearing it popped but my 4wd still worked. I didnt like it but it would work if need be. Sometimes sounds sound like theyre coming from one place but come from somewhere else. I would look hard at the cad. Sounds like its not engaging all the way. Itll pop and sound like a ujoint and let the front axle slip in and out of 4wd.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:14 AM
myramsbroke

what's the cad?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Central Axle Disconnect. (but, its on the passenger side? Ok.....) Passenger side of the front axle. Vacuum powered. If it isn't getting enough vacuum, or, has other issues.... it won't completely engage, and can make some truly horrible noises.

Something else to check would be the snap ring on the t-case rear output shaft. They tend to fall off, and then things can move around inside the case, and that is just not a good idea...... drop the rear drive shaft, pull the tailshaft housing, and have a look.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 PM
scguthrie

I'm having a similar problem with my 2001 Dakota 4.7L AWD. It just started making a clicking-popping sound (most evident at crawling speeds). I thought it was the u-joints on the front axle, but they look good and feel tight. I lifted the front-end off the ground and rotated the wheels and everything sounds smooth (no clicking). Wheel bearings appear good (just replaced one a few days ago). I'm thinking there is something going on in the front differential or the central differential - hard to tell where the sound is coming from exactly. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? I hate to just start tearing things apart but that may be what I have to do?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 PM
wayne9901
Default Another CAD problem

Being a noob, I hope I don't offend anyone by hijacking the thread, but...I have a similar problem in my 99 1500. I put it in 4x4, once the CAD engages it sounds like playing cards in the spokes of a bike and the 4WD light comes on, and stays engaged. I had replaced the outer u-joint on the passenger side last summer. Pulled the CAD off (broke 3 of the 4 bolts, read use penetrating fluid) the collar slides across the two axle shafts fine. I haven't had a chance to check the vacuum lines yet, cold MN weather. Best I can figure the "axle shift motor" (vacuum pod) is kaput. Does that sound right, or is there something else I should check? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If the 4x4 lite comes on, CAD is doing its job. If not, then time to dig in and see why not.

I would check the rest of the u-joints in the front driveline. There are three on the front driveshaft alone..... On mine, the joint at the differential was REALLY bad..... and was getting ready to abandon truck.

Quick Reply: clicking noise? 4wd slips?