2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tank Side Rusted Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Side Rusted Brake Line

I don't believe in coincidences, but man do I find it very odd that my brake line popped behind the gas tank the same week I had been reading out that being a trouble spot in our trucks!

Or it was the first day we got snow this year...either way, it sucks! Of course nothing is ever easy, specially for me, karma is a harsh b!tch.

In replacing the section of broken line, I ended up with broken bleeder valves, since the cylinders needed replacing, might as well rebuild the rear brakes. Karma being what she is...ended up twisting off both lines...so, now it's not one section, it's three.

I lost the AFTER photos since my rooted/modded phone took a crap and needed to be reflashed, so I'll not post the befores....we've all seen rust, right?

Finally ended up with a nice day (rained for weeks and then froze (no usable garage) so I was able to finished the passenger rear line.

Both Ends twisted off this thing.

The new section formed...not quite the same, but close.

New Gravel Spring wrap threaded...2$ for a 7 foot piece...my kind of price.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g...211_110359.jpg F'ing picasa! Doesn't want to link the last photo...wth?

If none of the above works let me know...I'll break down and dig up my Photobucket password.

I don't trust my double flares...each one of the sob's seemed to be slightly off center. Soon as spring hits, I'm replacing the lines again, but this time ALL of them....with better flares!

Also discovered that if the rear shoes are not adjusted correctly the brakes will feel mushy. Once i adjusted the auto-adjuster they stiffened right up. cool.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Yeah, there is a certain amount of technique required on the flaring tool, and that's hard to accomplish when you are working outdoors, and it isn't exactly 'nice' out.....

I always expect line repairs to have a bad case of "scope creep".... what you think is going to be a simple job, turns into a day long affair, with several trips to the parts store.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tool is not so bad when it's cold out, but it is a bit of a pain to use while the line is still under the truck. I'm sure like everything else, quality tool gives quality results. LOL. And I only flared one time before I remembered I forgot to put the nut on. Luckily I had enough room to cut off my mistake.

Now that the rear brakes are adjusted properly and all four have been bled I'll get to see today when I get home if there are any leaks.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Flue
the tool is not so bad when it's cold out, but it is a bit of a pain to use while the line is still under the truck. I'm sure like everything else, quality tool gives quality results. LOL. And I only flared one time before I remembered I forgot to put the nut on. Luckily I had enough room to cut off my mistake.

Now that the rear brakes are adjusted properly and all four have been bled I'll get to see today when I get home if there are any leaks.
I have been doing brakes and such for years, and I STILL occasionally forget the nut..... Then, it's look at it and say: "Well, THAT was stupid....."

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. the line blew alongside the gas tank, then the bleeders snaped off, then the rear lines twisted off and so on lol. Using a flaring tool is pretty straight forward as long as you have some mechanical abilities. also, make sure your bleeders on your front calipers open up because its always a good idea to bleed all 4 brakes when you bleed your system. If the caliper bleeders don't open (like mine didn't) new calipers are only around $15 a piece so it isn't that bad. good luck!

Quick Reply: Tank Side Rusted Brake Line