2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Metal Shavings in Oil. Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 AM
weatherman929
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Shavings in Oil. Causes?

A family member was driving my truck down the highway when the engine died (it was left in drive as it decelerated). We had it towed back home. It wouldnt start and the check gauges light and brake lights were on. I ended up replacing the alternator and battery and got it to turn over. It wouldnt start. I gave it some gas and it would run only if your foot was to the floor. I ended up checking the oil and I found metal shavings on the dipstick and the oil was metalic looking. Any idea of what could have caused this? Oil was clean before.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like it's time for a new motor. The shavings could be anything.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weatherman929
A family member was driving my truck down the highway when the engine died (it was left in drive as it decelerated). We had it towed back home. It wouldnt start and the check gauges light and brake lights were on. I ended up replacing the alternator and battery and got it to turn over. It wouldnt start. I gave it some gas and it would run only if your foot was to the floor. I ended up checking the oil and I found metal shavings on the dipstick and the oil was metalic looking. Any idea of what could have caused this? Oil was clean before.
Probably cheaper to get a rebuilt one from Advance Auto or one from a junk yard.

Rebuilding your's is an option but can get very expensive.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Metal shavings in the oil is a sure indicator of a toasted motor. Those metal shavings had to come from somewhere, and the usual source is bearing material, closely followed by iron filings from the various parts that are now grinding against each other, that shouldn't be.

Rebuild or Replacement time.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
weatherman929
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how much a rebuild should cost? I don't want to get ripped off. I would do this myself if it wasn't winter and I wasn't in school.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weatherman929
Anyone know how much a rebuild should cost? I don't want to get ripped off. I would do this myself if it wasn't winter and I wasn't in school.
It really depends on the area your in as far as rates go, and just how bad the motor is. There isn't anyway to know for sure what's toast until it's torn apart.

And a full out engine rebuild can cost more then a good used one or even a rebuilt one from an auto part's store, a member here recently posted prices for Advance Auto, not sure what area, think it was the 5.9 but it was around $1700.

Call some junk yards around and see what they got and what kind of warranty it has.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Yeah, getting a reman is going to end up cheaper than having the motor rebuilt. Faster turnaround too..... Labor will kill you for one guy spending several days overhauling a motor, as opposed to said motor running down an assembly line with a bunch of its brothers.

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in Oil. Causes?