2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adding additional options

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adding additional options

Hey guys, I have a very base 2001 v6 2wd auto with no options at all. My mirrors came smashed when I bought it and I was thinking about adding the power heated mirrors. I know the fuse boxes have empty relay spots where I imagine I could add the relays, then go do some wiring. I was also thinking about adding a tilt column and power windows as my budget allows. I know that doing un-fused circuits is very bad, so I wont do anything stupid. What I am wanting to know, is have any of you done this kind of stuff yet? I theorize that I could find a well equipped ram at a salvage yard & steel parts of it's wiring harness as it pertains to my wanted power options. I am one of those odd dudes that likes to do electrical work and I have done plenty in the past. I simply want to find something as close to a plug & play solution as possible.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

You LIKE to do electrical work? I suggest you find a counselor to go see.....

Check under the dash, against the cab sides, you may find the wiring harnesses already there for power mirrors/windows/locks. Tilt column would be an easy upgrade, just swap the column. Everything else will plug right in.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
peshewa
Veteran

You just cracked me up! Yes, as long as it is above freezing and I am in a garage I do enjoy it. I used to do custom auto body at a place in Texas but an ankle injury stopped that career for me. I have rewired 3 C5 vettes and some classic muscle in the past & done custom interior stuff that was trippy to look at. Besides, I get such a CHARGE out of electricity! waka waka waka.....

Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Originally Posted by peshewa
You just cracked me up! Yes, as long as it is above freezing and I am in a garage I do enjoy it. I used to do custom auto body at a place in Texas but an ankle injury stopped that career for me. I have rewired 3 C5 vettes and some classic muscle in the past & done custom interior stuff that was trippy to look at. Besides, I get such a CHARGE out of electricity! waka waka waka.....

BBBOoooooooo, SSsSsssssssss. LOLOLOLOL

I have done a couple total restorations..... and oh boy, was that ever fun. Getting the harnesses and such back in place was always the part I hated worst. That, and troubleshooting electrical problems once the car was assembled enough to start testing. Then you get to re-do some of the work.

Having a warm place to work always makes it nice. I have resorted to paying someone else exorbitant prices to change a damn hub/bearing assembly on my van, as it was all of 5 degrees out, Fahrenheit.... and there was no way on god's little green acre I was gonna work outside in that. Not gonna happen.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like JY shopping will be on your list for column and mirrors and such. Make sure you haev the service manual from the FAQ/DIY section, and like Hey You said, a lot of stuff is pre-wired. PDC and fuse panels should be the same, just empty spots. Removing them and tagging to the underside may be necessary if some of the wiring is not already installed. I have found several things pre wired on mine for options I do not have so it may not be as much work as you think. And I am shopping for heaters for my garage now, as it has beenn freezing for over a week and I have not been able to work on anything.....gotta be able to get warm....

Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 AM
peshewa
Veteran

I found that even here in Iowa, if a garage is not freakin huge & the door is shut, a simple electric space heater, like a cube style one from wallyworld for $20 works well. I plug it in on high for about an hour before I start & it takes the awful edge off. I had a T&C minivan with a bad bearing last winter & I also paid a fool to do it for me & it cost out the *** of course, but it beats breaking numb fingers in the cold, then having the pain kick in after they thaw out. That sucks the worst!

Quick Reply: adding additional options