2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
vietti
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end rebuild

My 9.25 rear end took a dive when the clips holding the posi clutches fell off. (Don’t know what Chrysler was thinking when they designed it.)
I had no idea what I was doing but decided anyhow to attempt a rebuild with only help from the internet.
The rear end has been done for a few days but makes a horrible loud humming noise that is regulated by the speed of the vehicle and a vibration equal to the noise exists as well. It does it on both excel and coast,, doesn’t matter.

I installed the pinion with 3 attempts and 3 bearings before I was happy with the pattern pics below.
When I did the final install of the pinion it was a real pain, do to the amount of torque it took to crush the crush sleeve I broke 6 half inch ratchets but finally got it to move and then tightened it were I had no play and just a little pre load. 12 inch lbs
I purchased an Aburn posi and installed it with new carrier bearings and bearing races.
Torque down the bearings at 100 ft lbs. when the back lash was set at .8 .
All U-joints are in good shape and I spent $140.00 having the driveshaft balanced.
Replaced the wheal bearings and even the tires.
But I cannot find the source of the vibration/noise when I take it apart everything looks good and all the preloads and blacklash are also good.
This vibration and noise are severe too ,, truck is almost not even drivable
Im lost and frustrated with it .
Any Ideas what could cause this?
Could I have a bad Alburn?

( also I marked the drive shaft to install in the same position it was from the factory, every thing is in the same place it was originally ..I’m running synthetic 90-140 with two tubes of posi additive. One was not enough I had to add more.)
( when I jack up the rear tires and run them at 100mph off the ground everything looks good and no vibration)
2004 1500 5.7 hemi

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

I think pinion depth is too shallow. Looks like the pinion teeth are running off the outside edge of the ring gear.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
vietti
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I see that but it also seems to go the whole length of the tooth just about.. wouldnt even the smallest adjustment just run it off the other side? its only maybe a few mm from it.

Quick Reply: rear end rebuild