2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Gauge Shows full but low fuel light comes on ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 PM
01silverram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Shows full but low fuel light comes on ???

Yep just as the title says. Gauge shows full.....actually more than full but then the low fuel light pops on. I know theres atleast 4 gals in the tank. I bought the truck and the low fuel light was on so I added some gas but never looked at the fuel gauge itself until it was in the shop.
Ive read posts on a fuel gauge reading full so check the float but didnt see a post showing the fuel gauge pegged and the low fuel light coming on.
Any help would be great.

Semper Fi!

jeff
USMC

01 Ram offroad sport
01 Ram offroad sport
99 Ram sport
98 Neon R/T
(3) 84 Colt GTS Turbo's
66 Charger

Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure. I know if I let my gauge get to 1/8 the light comes on (normal). But if the light comes on and I (obviously) fuel up, the gauge will randomly drop to below empty and the light comes on. Shut it off, fire back up, and all is fine.

Edit: Could be the sensor or possibly a loose wire.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude... Your truck... It's haunted... I'd be worried.. at least, a little..

Run a c-code check.. hold your trip button while you turn ignition on (but don't start).. these are chassis codes.. BOLO for a code set ion your odometer read out.. write it down and see if it relates to your issue.. its a good place to start, anyway..

Where are you stationed?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
gdstock
Legend

Haunted......yep, sounds like it.

What about disconnecting battery after checking for codes as drew mentioned. This will reset PCM. Something is hung up...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
01silverram
Veteran

yeah my gauge is pegged to the top when you turn the ignition on. Then after a few seconds the low fuel light comes on. its strange yes. Is it haunted..........Im sure it is, lol

I was stationed in PI (phillippines and lejeune) Im retired now........but wishing I was still in!

jeff
USMC

ill try the code deal and see what it comes up. It runs great now but the damn low fuel light drives me nuts.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Something is hung up...
Thats what it sounds like. Or maybe bad ground?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
drewactual
Champion

I'm a civ on lejeune now... Got out in '95.. FAST Co. 1st platoon my whole hitch, except for last five months..

It's dang near gotta be something funky in the wiring.. that little c-code function is a huge time saver when it comes to tracking that crap down..

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
gdstock
Legend

I thought about bad ground, but without looking at schematic, I would normally think gauge would read empty with a ground issue. But checking chassis ground wires would be worth checking out. Anything else electrical appear haunted? If so, that would move the ground issue up in list of probabilities.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM
01silverram
Veteran

ill try all the above tomorrow when i get back to the shop. It wouldnt shock me if it was a ground. I bought the truck not running. Guy said it needed a PCM but after my mechanic checked it out. It needed a IAC (it was stuck), vacuum lines redone and the kicker.........2 plug wires were wrong.
Previous owner put new plugs, wires, cap rotor, and even another wiring harness in and then he gave up. I bought her for a winter truck. she runs like a champ now.
Now if I could just get that fuel gauge deal fixed, lol

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM
01silverram
Veteran

Originally Posted by drewactual
I'm a civ on lejeune now... Got out in '95.. FAST Co. 1st platoon my whole hitch, except for last five months..

It's dang near gotta be something funky in the wiring.. that little c-code function is a huge time saver when it comes to tracking that crap down..
I was in Lejeune in 95. 2/2 "G" Co............ just right of the roundabout. I heard they redid the barracks there. Must be nice, lol

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Shows full but low fuel light comes on ???