2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a new Ram :D - and a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:43 PM
Allpar7
|
Default Got a new Ram :D - and a few ?'s

After taking my test run in this beast i couldnt resist. I got a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 5spd with 105000 miles on her. It has i few of the normal issues; plenum pan and a leaking water pump but i got a loan and now she's mine. I also have already sold my other labor of love to my buddy who was looking for a newer 4wd compared to his 84 dodge lol. Now that i know the problems for this era of dodge ( thanks to DF and its members) i am having more fun every day. I have the new plenum pan and a new water pump, but i am thinking about draining the front and rear axles as well as the tranny and transfer case at the same time. I want to go synthetic but dont know what type or brand to go with. Also any other random maintenance ideas. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

Will be posting pics soon
Thanks - Allpar7

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do timing chain and gears when you do the water pump, it's only a few more bolts, and another 20 bucks worth of gaskets, and you are right there. Get a good double roller set. Good for a nice bump in power. (due to the morse style original chain being all stretched out.)

Dino oil has worked perfectly in differentials since the late 1800's. I don't spend the money on it there. T-case takes ATF +4, just like the trans.

A full tune-up wouldn't hurt anything either. Do that at the same time you are doing the plenum, it won't ever be any easier.

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:57 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

For the tranny, go synthetic. You have a manual so you don't have to worry about band adjustment.

As for the rear diff, Use lucas or valvoline. Go with the heavier stuff if you tow, otherwise you can go lighter. Make sure to get the gaskets for the rear diff. At the factory they just used a LOT of RTV. Gaskets are better, so get them.

While you are at it, Autozone has a sale on castrol GTX and a filter (STP I believe). I think it is 9.99 after the rebate. OR you can get castrol high mileage and get a rebate. Regardless, get the oil change as well.

Looks like you did your Homework. Good smarts for getting a manual!! Good luck!