2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need serious help with SCT tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011 | 02:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

265 for three canned tunes. (87, 91, and 94 octane ratings.) 365 for custom tunes, which you only need if you have done pretty significant work to your engine.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I'm considering one of these....I have a 96 with a 5.9,shorty headers magnaflow cat, gibson cat back exhaust, cheesy cold air intake with 4.56 gears and 35s... Everything else is pretty much stock (I think). Would this tuner be a better choice than a 52mm throttlebody? or should I go with the throttle body first? I should add I want drivability power not really top end..
1.7's are in the works but not for a while. Remodeling the kitchen has priority..

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:07 PM
gdstock
Legend

I think a tune would give you more bang for the buck right now over TB - reason - gets rid of death flash.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
I think a tune would give you more bang for the buck right now over TB - reason - gets rid of death flash.
I was thinking the same thing but I have no evidence of death flash that I can find.....I wish my code readers would pick up flash revisions...I wonder if the pc software will do that?

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I'd do all the mods you want to do, then get the SCT. Of course the SCT won't do tire size, and although it may be better than a Super Chips tuner, the Super Chips will also get rid of the DF and you can correct your speedo.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is death flash even an issue on the older trucks? What about Torque Management?

The tunes you get with the sct are better than what's there stock. You will get more out of mods after the tuner, than you do on the stock programming.

Reprogramming the speedo on the 96 is as easy as changing the driven gear on the VSS in the trans. less than 30 bucks. No tuner needed.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:51 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I'm considering one of these....I have a 96 with a 5.9,shorty headers magnaflow cat, gibson cat back exhaust, cheesy cold air intake with 4.56 gears and 35s... Everything else is pretty much stock (I think). Would this tuner be a better choice than a 52mm throttlebody? or should I go with the throttle body first? I should add I want drivability power not really top end..
1.7's are in the works but not for a while. Remodeling the kitchen has priority..
I have the SCT from Hemi in my 96 and it is mostly stock.. After some fine tuning and several rewritten tunes from him for a trans shifting problem.. I will say it does everything better.. He never asked for more money or complained about the many program changes and questions, I can not recommend him enough..

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html

Last edited by jmhai; 12-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2011 | 04:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is death flash even an issue on the older trucks? What about Torque Management?

The tunes you get with the sct are better than what's there stock. You will get more out of mods after the tuner, than you do on the stock programming.

Reprogramming the speedo on the 96 is as easy as changing the driven gear on the VSS in the trans. less than 30 bucks. No tuner needed.

Death Flash, It depends on if it's been to dealer.

And your right about the speedo gears if you like tranny fluid running down your arm and laying under your truck everytime you change tire sizes. I for one, would rather push a couple buttons.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmhai
I have the SCT from Hemi in my 96 and it is mostly stock.. After some fine tuning and several rewritten tunes from him for a trans shifting problem.. I will say it does everything better.. He never asked for more money or complained about the many program changes and questions, I can not recommend him enough..

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html
That sounds more like a hardware issue, than software, considering it worked correctly with stock shift points, and hemi's tune..... Would be interesting to try the tuner on another truck.

Originally Posted by zman17
Death Flash, It depends on if it's been to dealer.

And your right about the speedo gears if you like tranny fluid running down your arm and laying under your truck everytime you change tire sizes. I for one, would rather push a couple buttons.
How often do you change tire sizes?????

Doesn't EVERYONE love assorted automotive fluids running down/into various body parts???

Old 12-20-2011 | 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That sounds more like a hardware issue, than software, considering it worked correctly with stock shift points, and hemi's tune..... Would be interesting to try the tuner on another truck.

How often do you change tire sizes?????

Doesn't EVERYONE love assorted automotive fluids running down/into various body parts???
Well I love automotive fluids every where too. LOL But from what I see here on DF, a lot of people change tire sizes frequently. Anywho, heres the gear chart. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

Quick Reply: Need serious help with SCT tuner