2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no tail lights? please help me

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM
jamesh23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no tail lights? please help me

I think my truck is in my signature, but I was driving it home the other night and got stopped for having no tail lights?

they were working before. My head lights work fine, just no tail lights. I am however getting my brake lights and reverse lights as well as turn signals?

just no tail lights? i check all my inside fuses, their good, and I couldnt figure out how to test the under hood ones, ive never seen fuses like them they have like a clear plastic coating and there like boxes, i used a multimeter to test the others, they were working fine before weird, sure could use some help though, sucks not bein able to drive at night

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does you instrument cluster light up?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
jamesh23

forgot to mention that, ya it works fine, just sometimes it goes off and I have to jiggly my head light switch till it comes back on

that kinda leads me to believe its my head light switch?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

Yep. Pull headlight switch (after disconnecting battery) and look at wiring behind there. Do you have trailer wiring?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Need to pull the various parts, so you can get to it, and check the wiring back there. One of their favorite places to melt, and cause no end of headaches.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 PM
jamesh23

Originally Posted by gdstock
Yep. Pull headlight switch (after disconnecting battery) and look at wiring behind there. Do you have trailer wiring?
ya im pretty sure I have trailer wiring and I found a new headlight switch on ebay for $30 shipped,

how much of a PIA is it to take out the switch and check everything out? any special tools im gonna need like hex drivers or anything

edit: looked up how to replace it, doesnt seem all to hard, ill take a look tomorrow, we have a foot of snow on the ground but as long as its not blizzarding ill take it apart

Last edited by jamesh23; 12-19-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's good procedure docs here and else where. I have some pics in my 'Interior' album.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by jamesh23
ya im pretty sure I have trailer wiring and I found a new headlight switch on ebay for $30 shipped,

how much of a PIA is it to take out the switch and check everything out? any special tools im gonna need like hex drivers or anything

edit: looked up how to replace it, doesnt seem all to hard, ill take a look tomorrow, we have a foot of snow on the ground but as long as its not blizzarding ill take it apart

It may or may not be the switch. As mentioned by Hey You, check the wiring behind it as well. Hardest part is safely pullling the dash bezel off without breaking it. There are a number of clips holding it to the dash.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
jamesh23

anyway I can get my tail lights to come on while im driving? for like temporary use or somethin lol, my new switch should be here next week but I still need to drive around lol

Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
gdstock
Legend

Check the wires. If wires are burned, connecting power to them from another spot will only blow a fuse or melt more wiring.

Quick Reply: no tail lights? please help me