2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 ram PO340 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Charlie5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel pressure around 47psi,,spark strong..i checked it at the coil and pulled a plug on two diff cylinders and had my girlfriend turn it over while i watched..maybe crankshaft pos sensor? and whats a CKS?and what about the other o2 sensors.could they be shot too..so lost on this one guys..

Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

cks, is crank sensor. And again, I don't want to spend your money, but don't cheap out on it. However, if you have spark and fuel, I'd still be suspect of something wrong with the exhaust.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

he has spark, and fuel pressure...... so, I don't think the crank sensor is gonna be it. Need to check for injector pulse, and verify power at the injectors.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had pretty much the exact problem as this a few years back. Only I wasn't driving around when it happened, I just went to start it in the morning to go to work and it was running rough. So I shut it off and tried to start it again and it had these same exact symptoms of "dieseling" where it wanted to fire but just wouldn't do it. I ended up having it towed to a mechanic because I couldn't figure it out and all it turned out to be was the fuel pump relay went bad for some reason. Maybe check or replace that?.....but you have fuel pressure so idk. I thought I could hear my pump still doing it's pre pressure thing when I turned the key on but I can't remember that far back

Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Charlie5.9

I can clearly hear my fuel pump come online. Im pull the exhaust from the collector and see if she fires.hoping the cat is plugged. Is that a good idea?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Charlie5.9

Oh and I did swap out the fuel pump relay.that's why so confused. I'm gonna try pulling the exhaust when I get home.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie5.9
I can clearly hear my fuel pump come online. Im pull the exhaust from the collector and see if she fires.hoping the cat is plugged. Is that a good idea?

That is a good idea, and just so you know. Just because you hear the pump come on does not mean it's pumping the correct amount of pressure if any at all.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP mentioned that he has 47 psi. That should be good. Leaning toward clogged cat also.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Ecoastmotion
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all had this almost same problem after i did my plenum/kegger mod on my truck. Just coincidental and i dont think that the modifications had anything to do with it. I had similar symptoms too. Truck would run fine and then after about 20 mins start sputtering and then just die and would crank but not restart. Spark and fuel both good first things i checked. It threw a code for the CAM position sensor ( the one under the distributor cap) changed that one out and the truck would run fine for about 10 mins and then sputter out and die. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic told me that he said it sounded like the CRANK position sensor was shot. Borrowed one off another ram and man that thing was a pain in the *** to change on a hot motor but it fired right up and it ran fine. Cleared the codes and no problems since. Just my two cents. If you have the opportunity to pull a Crank position sensor off of a running truck and put it on yours its worth a shot.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Charlie5.9

I had to cut the bolts off the collectors. No surprise .. Guess the only thing left is CKS. Grabing one today . Had someone tell me if thats not it that computer is shot. Anyway to test that before I swap one out?

Quick Reply: 5.9 ram PO340 code