2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Damn, I don't have a leg to stand on after that response!

Dang, how I have missed the humor while traveling for the holidays! lmao!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 AM
burntgamer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO! Well, plenum it is fellas... Off to the End All thread, and then the auto store. Its on!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 AM
burntgamer
Amateur

Originally Posted by lastrights
PLENUM needs repaired , do a oil change and it should be fine . Sure your step dad didn't beat it . So Ir should last a while . There basically bullet proof . Just need plenum done and a new tune up
I don't think he beat it, all though one time I remember he was pissed at the neighbors and smoked the tires off in reverse for like a minute lol. I'll start getting **** together for the plenum.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Replace the plate on the bottom of the manifold. Hughes has 'em for 80, or, you can get one off of EBay for around 50, and pick up gaskets locally.

You can mod the plenum, (I think there is a DIY in the faq section...) to pick up a little more power in the mid to upper RPM range. (kegger sucks up top though.....)

Fix the plenum, do the cap/rotor/wires/plugs, as it will never be any easier......

With the mileage on that truck, I would do water pump and timing chain and gears as well. (at the same time as the plenum.) Nice little bump in power there. (double roller set.)

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller rockers are good for a 10-20 horsepower.

SCT tuner compliments it all nicely.

If you REALLY wanna spend some bucks, look at the Hughes Air Gap manifold, or the Mopar M1.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the plate on the bottom of the manifold. Hughes has 'em for 80, or, you can get one off of EBay for around 50, and pick up gaskets locally.

You can mod the plenum, (I think there is a DIY in the faq section...) to pick up a little more power in the mid to upper RPM range. (kegger sucks up top though.....)

Fix the plenum, do the cap/rotor/wires/plugs, as it will never be any easier......

With the mileage on that truck, I would do water pump and timing chain and gears as well. (at the same time as the plenum.) Nice little bump in power there. (double roller set.)

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller rockers are good for a 10-20 horsepower.

SCT tuner compliments it all nicely.

If you REALLY wanna spend some bucks, look at the Hughes Air Gap manifold, or the Mopar M1.

Oh, man.....you scared him off when he started checking the prices on the Air Gap, rockers, and all that!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

You could build a 300 horse 318 for under 2000 bucks IF you shopped around. A new set of odessa 1.92 valve heads will run you around 600. Im not sure about shops in your area but i could get a complete .030" over rebuild kit with machining for the other 400 to bring the total to and even 1k. Then a cam of your choice with new hardware which will run around 600. Then you've got all your odd and end things.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
burntgamer
Amateur

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
You could build a 300 horse 318 for under 2000 bucks IF you shopped around. A new set of odessa 1.92 valve heads will run you around 600. Im not sure about shops in your area but i could get a complete .030" over rebuild kit with machining for the other 400 to bring the total to and even 1k. Then a cam of your choice with new hardware which will run around 600. Then you've got all your odd and end things.
LOL, not scared off, just busy. Wow guys thanks! That's a great place to start. I'm gonna do the plenum and total tune up. Your right about it never being easier, when I picked it up I found that my step dad had the distributor cap off... that thing is such a bitch to get to, I didn't know the firing order, or the position of each wire. Plus trying to figure out what your trying to tighten back there is mind numbing. Luckily he had a Haynes manual with it. I'm not naive about my truck, I don't want to try and build a monster with the know how I have. I just want it to look good, be functional off road, and survive the light beatings I'll give it. That and some power when I need it. I was thinking of picking up a junkyard 318 and just messing with it, tearing it apart and putting it back together so I am comfortable with it. I'll post a pic of how ghetto it looks, will crack you guys up.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 PM
mstephen89
Captain

get a junkyard 360, few more cubic inches to play with and essentially the same motor

Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

True and when you get a tuner i believe it can be flashed to the 360 tune.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
burntgamer
Amateur

I thought the 360 didn't bolt up to the transmission, something about the flywheel not being the right size?

Quick Reply: Newbie!