2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 channel amp with tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 channel amp with tweeters

Ok heres the deal I'm installing a 4 channel amp to my speakers and wanted to know if I can tap off of the wires I'm running to my rear speakers from the amp for a set of tweeters I have.

In case it was a little confusing....can the tweeters run off the amped wires or should I just use the stock wires to the rear speakers for the tweeters?

The tweeters are infiniti tweeters and have some sort of little resistor looking thing inline with their wiring

Any help appreciated

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No amp just radio amp is usually to much power for the average tweeter. Radio is safer unless u no max wattage and ems of tweeters and ur amp doesn't exceed them

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

The little resistor thing is probally a built in crossover to keep the bass out. I would just run each tweeter off the radio and the rest of the speakers off the amp. That way you can adjust the fade on the radio to farther forward to dial the tweeters volume in just where you want it.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Well the tweeters are good for 50 watts rms but I'm gonna run them like you said 97tn4x4. Appreciate it

Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM
mstephen89
Captain

just get a good set of components, or if you must use the tweeters you have get some external crossovers.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:49 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Truck already has infinity kappas in the front and 6.5" reference series in the rear did those about a year ago just off the stereo....ended up buying my dad JL speakers for his boat and the difference between them off the radio and amped made me want to go back and amp my speakers finally.

Have had the tweeters and never installed them due to the fact I didn't want to pull the rear plastics off again....looked at the tweeters and they have an inline crossover so well see how that goes

Will an external crossover make much of a difference over an inline crossover
http://millionbuy.com/view_product_I...eeter-Kit.html
That's a link to the tweeters I have

Last edited by redheadhunter21; 12-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

A crossover is a crossover, as long as you have one youre fine. Some may allow a little more clarity but probally not an audible difference unless its all the way up.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wire them up to the amp... but if your sharing the channel off the amp with another speaker be sure to look at the ohm load of both the speaker and the tweeter.... if they are both the automotive standard 4ohm, by wiring them together you will now put a 2ohm load on that channel of the amp causing it to run a bit hotter (and theoretically double the power to each speaker from say 25 watts rms to 50 rms) If they are 2 ohm which many component setups are then they will put a 4 ohm load on the amp...
Almost all decent car amps will be 2 ohm stable in 4 channel mode but if you try to run more than one speaker off of a bradged amp channel...Well thats when most people cook thier amps. this is the diffence between cheap and high end amps...
For example I have an old Orion HCCA 2 channel amp that puts out 25 watts rms to each channel (4 ohm load).... bridged it puts out 50 watts rms to 4 ohm load, 100 watts rms in a 2 ohm load and 200 watts rms in a 1 ohm load.... so I run two dual voice coil 8" 4 ohm orion extreme subs wires in parallel from voice coil to voicecoil and then again from speaker to speaker... this puts a one ohm load on the amp and causes it to push 200 watts rms to EACH voice coil. A cheap amp will cut out and be cooked after a couple minutes if wired this way. a good amp will shine (and draw a lot more juice)
now if you wire the speakers in a series red to black and black to red its supposed to double the ohm load (makes two 4 ohm speakers into an 8 ohm load on the amp.... The lower power output is why most home speakers (usually 8 ohms) sound bad in a car there more to it but thats the basics..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
A crossover is a crossover, as long as you have one youre fine. Some may allow a little more clarity but probally not an audible difference unless its all the way up.
Not really true at all... They have different cutoff slops which change the way they sound dramatically... and theirs passive vs ?? damn I cant remember...I've been out of it for a while... well the other is preamp and usually a power crossover which is better.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Not really true at all... They have different cutoff slops which change the way they sound dramatically... and theirs passive vs ?? damn I cant remember...I've been out of it for a while... well the other is preamp and usually a power crossover which is better.
Active.
Also if you would like alot more info on the subject check out http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/.

Dave

Quick Reply: 4 channel amp with tweeters