2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1740 mil

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Gambino445
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1740 mil

Hello all, I been browsing these forums for a while and just signed up tonight. I searched around about p1740 problems and have not came across anyone with the same symptoms as my truck.

Truck: I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 360 5.9. I have confirmed with the dealership that it has the 46RE transmission.

Symptoms: When the MIL is off (code is cleared) the truck shifts fine. With the exception of randomly holding a gear 300 to 400 rpm more then it should. If I let off the petal it will shift no problem. Likewise, If I punch it, It will hold the gear and not slip at all. When the MIL is on it happens more often but does not slip. It goes threw all the gears fine just randomly over revving the RPM's due to holding the gear.

I first though it needed a transmission flush so I went ahead and did one. NON-machine one, dropped the pan cleaned it out with filter and put it back up. All that was on the magnet was normal sludge same as the filter when I broke it open. Fluid is topped off, No leaks and fresh. Old fluid was still good, About 8,000mi to next flush.

Dealership: They are telling me it's the transmission valve body pressure boost valve cover plate which I don't believe is the problem at all. they explained it to me as a hole in a plate that's about .021 bigger then the old one. I am struggling with this one seeing how I am a machinist and it does not make sense at all that a hole can affect this. I have ran this truck with one rebuild at a half rate shop about 4 years ago. Which I think they just cleaned the sensor's and put it back.

I personally think it's a sensor acting up, If the transmission was fubar it would slip and/or not shift gears at all. I am wondering if anyone has came across the same problem, Or has some information about this plate that they are recommending me to replace. Oh, By the way it's $450 to replace this plate....

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK first off you must not know how to use the "search this forum" button on a forum yet... click it and type "P1740" then hit enter and multiple pages of others with the same issue come up (you have to go back to the main 2nd gen page first though)

I think thats the governor pressure soleniod /sensor failure code. If so its the most common failure on these transmissions...you can get the better than OEM borg warner replacement along with a new sensor for about $100 and it takes about 45 mins to change them...I've done it more than once... if it comes back soon after than you have another problem causing metal fragments to plug valve body passages...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
OK first off you must not know how to use the search button on a forum yet... click it and type "P1740" then hit enter and multiple pages of others with the same issue come up (you have to go back to the main 2nd gen page first though)

I think thats the governor pressure soleniod /sensor failure code. If so its the most common failure on these transmissions...you can get the better than OEM borg warner replacement along with a new sensor for about $100 and it takes about 45 mins to change them...I've done it more than once... if it comes back soon after than you have another problem causing metal fragments to plug valve body passages...

Yeah, That!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Gambino445

That's what I was wondering. They are not replacing any sensors at all. just the plate if they were to do the work. Which sensor should I have replaced as well as the plate? Also, can this be done just by dropping the transmission pan Or do I need to pull her out?

Yes I did search, But I felt my truck was doing something a little different.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The two at the bottome. The governor pressure sensor and governor solenoid.

Name:  ODandTC.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  23.8 KB

Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

they are mounted in a plate... so If i were a lazy mechanic who wanted to make more money I would say its the whole assy and replace it passing off higher cost to you unknowing customer...
The sensor and governor solenoid mount to a smaller plate but that mounts to the valve body assy which for this error DOES NOT need replacing... Actually you can see the black screen assy at the base of that solenoid? thats what plugs up... you can clean them with contact or carb cleaner. if you only want to remove the pan once for sure though just replace them and clean old one for backup (you can bench test them too) there is a cleaning DIY in the DIY section here.
the borg warner one allows for 15% more flow than oem and is supposed to be less likely to fail. when the screen starts to plug the truck shift late if at all sense the line pressure is effected...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM
ABX2A
Default P1740

gambino445, P1740 is Lockup/OD solenoid performance-This code will set if expected rpm drop is not achieved while attemmpting to enguage TCC and/or O/D.
The plate the dealer is refering to is from TSB 210800, this rarely fixes anything.EtmmmSi
I

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Gambino445

That's what I figured. They did a small test on the truck, Plugged in the scanner and "verified" the p1740 is the code showing up. They then cleared it....

This is a quote from the paper;
Ordered parts per TSB# 21-11-00 which involve replacement of the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate. Estimate $480 installed. Customer has been informed that this repair may not correct concern as conditions that set fault code is not present.
What a rip off, they charged me $100.00 to do this crap lol.

I have one question left. Which is the best parts I can replace this with? And were can I order them from? I use this truck for everything but towing/plowing. Going to head off and look online for these parts.

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Id replace all the sensors. You can get them from PATC or WIT transmissions.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM
bjr1a
Professional

P1740 is Set as stated when the tcc is commanded ON but the ECM does not see the rpm drop......Does the Torque converter clutch work?....it is true that 2001 had a slightly undersize release orifice in the stiffener plate on the valve body but thats not likely the issue, however the retaining bracket next to the stiffener plate has a tendancy to break and it will trigger this code.....I would suspect that to be the problem since you seen no debri and if the tcc does not work....Now one more issue is it is possible for this code to trigger and the tcc to function...I rebuilt a 46RE a year ago and this code kept reoccuring and the tcc worked fine !...When I attached a scan tool , I found that the ecm was not getting a brake signal....it was telling me that the brake pedal was pressed ( brake lights worked fine)......I replaced the switch and signals were correct and the code did not return...

Quick Reply: P1740 mil