2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam change in progress w/pics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Scanner put out code P0205 -- - Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 5 (27)

Injector 5 was pulled to test for power, so I deleted code and reseated the injector --> no change.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Verify power at that injector. Get a noid lite, and see if you have injector pulse. (provided you have power.) PCM provides ground to the injector circuit, make sure connections at PCM are clean, and tight. Verify continuity of ground wire for the injector as well. Check resistance of the injector.... (especially if you are getting pulse on the noid lite.)
Power was checked using a multimeter.

Noid lite will verify injector pulse? Can you direct me to where/how to do that?

I'll recheck PCM connections at the box. This was untouched.

Ground continuity for injector check on the list.

What should the resistance be and how should this be properly done?

Thanks

Is this something I can have my local shop do as this has crossed my mind in terms of efficiency. LOL

Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I would try and fix the miss first...... I suspect that you aren't getting fuel there... so, that's not all that much of an issue. There are individual grounds for each injector, sequential fuel injection after all.

Check the wire from the injector, to the PCM first......

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Power was checked using a multimeter.

Noid lite will verify injector pulse? Can you direct me to where/how to do that? Yep. All it is is a little light, that plugs into the injector connector, in place of the injector. Crank motor, see if light flashes.

I'll recheck PCM connections at the box. This was untouched.

Ground continuity for injector check on the list. Noid lite will verify the circuit.

What should the resistance be and how should this be properly done? 12 to 16 ohms? I think???

Thanks

Is this something I can have my local shop do as this has crossed my mind in terms of efficiency. LOL
Local shop should have all the right toys to do this for ya. They will just want money. You can do it for the cost of the tools. (which in the over all scheme of things, really isn't that much. Noid lights are cheap.)

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Noid Lite?

Roger that, but my shop has been very accommodating. Sometimes no charges at all. I wanted to pay them for pressing in the front seal of the timing cover. They were like..."pfffft, we see you and just bring the finished thing in here so we can check it out!"

Just a consideration.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That would be it. Keep in mind, there are a variety of different ones, for the different injector connectors.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

List of grounds i can recall:

One off PCM to firewall/frame.
One off passenger valve cover
One off passenger head in the back, believe it connects to same one as the PCM, but can't recall.
One off driver's head to firewall
One that connects to PS pump stud that hooks the drivers side injector harness down, check this one carefully, the heavy ground for the alt/starter connects here as well.
one off the battery that connects to the frame near the washer reservoir.
2 small ones for the wiper motors on the firewall but these shouldn't be the problem.

Check them all for clean connections. I even cleaned the paint off the firewall where they touch with a wire wheel and it seemed as though the idle smoothed out.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Ok, I have to say this is a fuggin' gold star post. Thanks for this aim! See my replies within yours to add to the story.

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
List of grounds i can recall:

One off PCM to firewall/frame. -- I will reseat this for the hell of it. This one was redrilled lower on the firewall due to 3" bodylift.

One off passenger valve cover -- Yes I caught that one. Its on a VC stud in the back on the valley side. I put on new VC studs, so will reseat.

One off passenger head in the back, believe it connects to same one as the PCM, but can't recall. -- Yes this is correct. Will double check and reseat. This one was redrilled lower on the firewall due to 3" bodylift.

One off driver's head to firewall -- This one was redrilled lower on the firewall due to 3" bodylift.

One that connects to PS pump stud that hooks the drivers side injector harness down, check this one carefully, the heavy ground for the alt/starter connects here as well. -- Will double check and reseat.

one off the battery that connects to the frame near the washer reservoir.
2 small ones for the wiper motors on the firewall but these shouldn't be the problem. -- Will double check and reseat.

Check them all for clean connections. I even cleaned the paint off the firewall where they touch with a wire wheel and it seemed as though the idle smoothed out.
Indeed we did not clean paint off. Thought that threads in hole was sufficient. So will follow your experience here.

What I'm glad about is that you didn't mention any that I wasn't aware of. whew.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh one other thing,

Is the injector clip on #5 broken by any chance? I broke a few the first time i removed mine and that caused an issue for me once. I had to splice in a new connector. Might want to check the connection as well, if it slides on really easily, the prongs in the injector might be making a weak connection with the injector clip.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Oh one other thing,

Is the injector clip on #5 broken by any chance? I broke a few the first time i removed mine and that caused an issue for me once. I had to splice in a new connector. Might want to check the connection as well, if it slides on really easily, the prongs in the injector might be making a weak connection with the injector clip.
Why...eh hem....yes it is. LOL

****! Easily rule this out by having someone apply pressure to the connector....

Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I happy

Quick Reply: Cam change in progress w/pics.