2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED knowledge please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED knowledge please!

I'm thinking about putting the LED light bar on my truck, you know the one that runs below your tail gate and has the essential functions (brake, turn, running), and just want to know if when I hook it up, will my turn signals be on crack? By crack I mean blinking really fast? Or does that only happen when I COMPLETELY replace my turn signals with LED's while using the stock relay for signals? Thanks guys!

Also if any of you have light bars and like them, or know of any good brands and where to get them let me know! Thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

LED's react quicker than normal lights so they will always seem like there on crack when compared to the other light

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any that I have seen blink normal in sync with the OEM lights.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Cheat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They blink at the same rate because they are wired in parell to the oem lights therefor it doesn't effect the amps pulled on the flasher, there for they are still gonna flash normal. Now, with a total led replacement, either big resistors or electronic flashers must be used.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

That LED strip most likely already has load resisters built in line. It should blink just fine, but will fully illuminate a hair quicker than your stock bulb blinkers.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
That LED strip most likely already has load resisters built in line. It should blink just fine, but will fully illuminate a hair quicker than your stock bulb blinkers.
No, probably not because it doesn't need a load resistor. Like Cheat said, a load resistor is only necessary if you've replaced all your signals with LEDs.

I don't like light bars though, the first time I saw them I thought it was a cool idea but I hate a few things about them now.
1. There is always a diode or two that is out, it drives me crazy
2. They put no lens on the LEDs to defuse the light, I would prefer a even glow across the whole strip and not the bright spots from the LEDs.

Last edited by jmbishop; 01-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

I have one. Blinks just fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys. Ya the only thing I don't like about them is the one diode that goes out and makes it look not as good. but other than that they are relatively cheap and easy to install

Quick Reply: LED knowledge please!