2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cutting the cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
ramthis9501
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the cat

Ok so I got my 01 Ram with the 5.2. Putting a new glass pack on it but I want to cut the cat for better flow and better sound. Other then having a cel and it smelling weird, are there any reasons why I shouldn't do it?

And I live in Oklahoma where there are NO restrictions or vehicle inspections.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Do the non-fouler trick on the post-cat O2. No more codes. Shouldn't smell funny in any event.

Couple reasons not to do it..... Federal Emissions law being one......

Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to check your local laws regarding emission's if you have vehicle inspection's and what not.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

I have a gutyed cat. Theres deffinately a power loss. Also ever since I have been having idle stalling issues. Im not sayinng its from the cat my problems arent as bad since ive changed my iac and tps however from time to time it still does funny things, however I dpnt have tje defouler trick in fact I dont have a O2 sensor in,the front (will by,end of month) with that said if you are still going to gut the cat do as HeyYou said and do the defouler trick

Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My cats gutted, no power loss. In fact I gained power, at least from where it was at cuz it was clogged. No non-fouler trick here. I just get stared at by the light. Doesnt run bad or anything from it.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I gained power and also burn less gas since replacing my gutted cat with a high flow magnaflow setup... (until yet again something else failed) I read many times and recently saw a video where they explained the truck will run rich with a gutted cat...my long term fuel trim averages are lower now and even though I was getting no codes from gutted cat my post cat 02 sensor readings (I did not replace this 02 sensor) are smoother now and do not jump all around causing the af mixture to be constantly adjusted...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by kejobe
My cats gutted, no power loss. In fact I gained power, at least from where it was at cuz it was clogged. No non-fouler trick here. I just get stared at by the light. Doesnt run bad or anything from it.
"cuz it was clogged." are the key words here... bottom line the rest of the truck is designed to work with it ..removing it can have negative effects without any real benefits since High flow setups are cheap and work well...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
"cuz it was clogged." are the key words here... bottom line the rest of the truck is designed to work with it ..removing it can have negative effects without any real benefits since High flow setups are cheap and work well...
Yes, I agree. Thats why I stated it was clogged. But my way was cheaper.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by kejobe
Yes, I agree. Thats why I stated it was clogged. But my way was cheaper.
I hear ya but not if it costs you a few hundred more a year in gas
Mine was gutted by the PO... I had more low end power for a whooping couple days till the engine started this mis crap... the 180 bucks I spent for the stainless pipes and cat were well worth it IMHO....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-13-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

My cat is off and I get 1-2 mpg increase with no power loss. Most of the worry should be with the law instead of with engine trouble. Btw, bypass the front o2 sensor. If its dtill in, it'll make your mixture go crazy

Quick Reply: Cutting the cat