2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in a bind...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merc, got your PM. Responded. Thanks.

Guess I might be forced to take that list HeyYou put up and just SEND it to the shop and hope for the best... not sure how that's going to work out though.

InfO.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
InfO
Veteran
Default Info from the shop

Hi, GF again!

I just talked to the shop, they took a look at the truck.

He checked the trans fluid, it is toped up amd smells burnt and he also said that when the truck is running he can hear a crunching noise.

That is all we have for now.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,255 Likes on 3,003 Posts

crunching noise is generally a bad sign.......

Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
InfO
Veteran
Default Update

Hi all,
We ended up getting the truck towed to a recommended shop in Fredericton. I emailed them the list HeyYou sent me and just got a response back from them today.
I am not sure if the parts he lists in the email are the same as the ones on the list. Any opinions on what they are suggesting to do for the upgrade/ how it applies to the list and on the cost they are suggesting would be greatly appreciated.

"We got your transmission apart and came up with a straight overhaul price of $1818.27 plus tax. If you wanted to add the 5 pinion overdrive carrier kit (which comes with an updated sungear and bearing) and Sure cure kit it would be $ 2348.34 plus tax. The 6 gear rear planetary isn't recommended as an upgrade unless its going into a A618 desiel. The rest of the rebuild would be completely straight forward. We'll wait to hear from you."

Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
"We got your transmission apart and came up with a straight overhaul price of $1818.27 plus tax. If you wanted to add the 5 pinion overdrive carrier kit (which comes with an updated sungear and bearing) and Sure cure kit it would be $ 2348.34 plus tax."
For that kind of money you'd be much better off, IMHO, picking up a PATC Mega Viper . You'll have to provide install labor (your own or a shop's) but you'll get the stoutest possible transmission with a lot more than just those two upgrades.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,255 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
For that kind of money you'd be much better off, IMHO, picking up a PATC Mega Viper . You'll have to provide install labor (your own or a shop's) but you'll get the stoutest possible transmission with a lot more than just those two upgrades.
This. Motion has been seconded.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser

Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
InfO
Veteran

Guys,

Would love to get a PATC Mega Viper but I don't see how you're cost comparing. The Mega Viper is 2699 US. Without taxes. Without shipping to Canada. Without a customs/duty fee. Unless y'all know something I don't or have a suggest course of action to get it to Canada cheaper...

Perhaps I can get it shipped somewhere in the US, but then I am paying US taxes, then Canadian taxes bringing it across. Plus the fuel/finding a vehicle to go pick it up with.

Not meaning to sound negative, and I very much so appreciate any/all advice. Just not sure how to get a PATC up here without taking a second mortgage out on my house.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
Not meaning to sound negative, and I very much so appreciate any/all advice. Just not sure how to get a PATC up here without taking a second mortgage out on my house.
My apologies -- I somehow managed to forget that you're in Canuckistan.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We is fubared on account of UU. My excuse is....

none whatsoever. I second the apology.

Quick Reply: in a bind...