2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is it bad to be using all of these gas additives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to be using all of these gas additives?

Well since I replaced my plenum. I've been adding these fuel additives to clean my engine more and heal my snake wounds so is it bad to use too much? I've seafoamed it through the brake booster once, put the other half in the gas. Then ran it dry, refilled and put the cheapest stp fuel additive in it. I then put half a bottle of seafoam into my oil and changed my oil. Is it safe to use seafoam through the booster again and when I refill to use a bottle of chevron techrom in my gas? I've already purchased both but I'm nervous all of these additives are going to ruin something. Thanks for your opionion

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Doing the seafoam thru the brake booster line again won't hurt anything at all. Just maybe clean some more of the crap out of your engine.

I wouldn't use more than one additive at a time in the gas... but that's just me.

I wouldn't use any additives at all in the oil.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use seafoam in the oil even if you change it shortly after if there are sludge buildup's and not what it could sink to the bottom of the pan and clog up the screen or the pickup tube, then your in for some crap.....

Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are going to be differing views on this here subject..

your wallet is going to be most effected.. the seafoam through the booster is always a good idea.. the injector cleaner? eh.. the octane booster stuff is only worth it if it raises in whole points (rans?).. most don't.. most just barely make a difference.. it's a shame, because there are actual boosters and cleaners that do what they say- but they are overshadowed by those (majority) that are snake oil..

all that said..

your PCM is going to be flipping out if you continue to put stuff through your fuel lines other than petrol.. you know it adjusts for things like a/f via o2 sensors bounced off of IAT and MAP sensors, right? when you run fuel that has differing properties through it, the burn rate will be altered.. Mr. PCM's baseline (specifically the LTFT) will be altered to reflect that from what it would be when you're NOT running additives.. it's just a tiny thing, but I take it you want your rig to run optimum, right?

it may or may not be a wives tale, but consistency is a good thing.. pick a line and drive it.. you'll find getting gas from the same location will increase the consistency of your engines trim, as well as cutting the fuel the same way every time will..

I dunno if it's right or wrong, but it makes some sense to eliminate all the variables you can- and that means cleaning your engine (seafoam) and then running a consistent as you can everything else..

just my opinion..

I use StarTron.. that is about it.. Periodically, I'll run a full bottle of seafoam through the booster.. that's all the additives I want near my rig..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Well I ran the seafoam through the oil because I was dropping the pan the same day. I do not plan on using different additives on the same tank but I saw on the chevron techrom bottle safe for every 1000 miles so I thought it might be bad to use consistently. Thanks a lot. I don't normally use additives. But I just did the plenum and it all looked great. Now I'm just trying to get that last little bit of sludge out

Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM
chadhager03
Captain

And didnt I post this in the general discussion?

Quick Reply: Is it bad to be using all of these gas additives?