2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stalling issue fix while doing plenum

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling issue fix while doing plenum

not sure if any one remembers, however about three weeks ago on the way to work my truck stalled out. it wouldnt restart unless i gave it gas. it was suggested that i had a bad TPS. so i switched it out, and cleaned the IAC. problem seemed to have gone away. bout a week later when i started it it would drop to the point of almost stalling out. but wouldnt so i replaced my IAC. problem seemd to get better. the only difference was now it idles at around 600. once in a while when i go to start it if i dont hold the key for a minute for a GOOD start it will drop below idle and die.
about three days ago it rained for about two days straight. after work oneday i figured id go around the corner to this little dirt spot. It was pretty muddy. i started to play n the mud. there was this puddle, it wasnt that deep. around 1/3 or 1/4 of my tire a was getting the truck all muddy and dirty and it stalled on me!. i restarted it with no problem, and began to play. it stalled again. one thing i noticed is before stalling the vents would blow funky, as in blow softer with gas or brake pressure. i know i have a vacuum leak that needs to be fixed. i drove home. no matter how much i mash on the gas it drives it doesnt stall on the way home.
the next day i go back to the mud hole im doing donuts playing trucks fine. i go through the puddle and it stalls and wont start.i disconnect the computer and ground wire and give it a second. i hook it all back up and try to start it. it turns over but wont start. the second time i try it, it turns over but makes a noise like it wants to start, so i just hold the key in the turn on position for a good 30 seconds and finally it fires up. i turn the truck off and turn it back on and it fires right up.
also when i put the starter back in after doing my rear main seal it didnt want to crank after turning over until i held the key for a couple seconds than finally it started. i pulled the starter out and rebolted it and had no trouble starting it until the mud puddle.
im sure i have a couple issues going on.
my truck doesnt have an upstream o2 sensor. the first couple stalls while mudding i thought maybe it just begain to run too rich from too much pressure on the pedle while in the mud. Than the next day when it stalled again and wouldnt start i googled and heard alot of similiar stories from people who got an electrical connector wet. thats when it downed on me that my o2 sensor connector has nothing on it so its just open to the elements. also my wires are pretty old and probly need to be cleaned or changed from the battery to the pcm and also from the battery to the starter. so im wondering if that may be part of the issue. also ive heard that other issues that people believe are caused from the tps and/or iac are actually caused by crank shaft sensor/ or ca shaft sensor (i dont remember which one. Ive owned the truck for about four months. ive changed the spark plugs but never distributer or rotor. so im thinking this may be part of the problem. Im fixing to order my hughes plenum plate. while im doing that job i truly want to get anything and everything possible. wires spark plugs sensors also going back to the 195 tstat ( i dont have a sct scanner) so i was wondering what i can replace while im doing my plenum that would help with this issue and over all performance of my truck. im also putting in a whole new exhaust from manifold to tail pipe. so im going to do a compression test before i sink a good grand into this truck. your thoughts and comments on what my issues are and what i should replace while doing plenum is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks and sorry so long

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Looks to me like your fuel pump is going bad. When you turn the key on it turns on the fuel pump and letting it sit for a little builds up the pressure. I think you need 27 psi or something like that. Sorry if you said you replaced that. I skimmed the last paragraph lol

Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

well that was a good read
first off fix that vac leak if you havent already
then do cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. make sure theres no moisture inside your cap. that'll cause some nice problems
if that doesnt do anything i would replace cam and/or crank, which ever you said was bad. i would suggest getting those sensors from a dealer since these trucks tend not to like aftermarket sensors.
check your ign. coil for good power. easy way to check is to just throw a plug in it and ground it. see if its got good spark.
i would also get that o2 sensor replaced with and NTK/NGK brand.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by chadhager03
Looks to me like your fuel pump is going bad. When you turn the key on it turns on the fuel pump and letting it sit for a little builds up the pressure. I think you need 27 psi or something like that. Sorry if you said you replaced that. I skimmed the last paragraph lol
should be somewhere around 45-50 psi

Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by sam_priem
check your ign. coil for good power. easy way to check is to just throw a plug in it and ground it. see if its got good spark.
sorry i kinda have no clue what ur talking about. im fairly new to all this, and have alot to learn (which i truly want too)

i plan on doing the rotor cap wires and plugs when doing my plenum. I also will be using the ntk/ngk o2 sensors from rock auto when installing the new exhaust.
as far as the cam/crank sensor not sure which one to replace to help the issue or just in general. The po truly failed at maintaining this truck, trying to get it up to par.
lol yea it was quite long

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
sorry i kinda have no clue what ur talking about. im fairly new to all this, and have alot to learn (which i truly want too)

i plan on doing the rotor cap wires and plugs when doing my plenum. I also will be using the ntk/ngk o2 sensors from rock auto when installing the new exhaust.
as far as the cam/crank sensor not sure which one to replace to help the issue or just in general. The po truly failed at maintaining this truck, trying to get it up to par.
lol yea it was quite long
my fault. i didnt really explain it too well.

your ignition coil is a small black box on the far passenger side of the engine. it has what looks like a plug wire running from it to the top of the cap. this gives the cap and rotor the power to fire. if its not good your cap and rotor can not produce enough power to give your plugs a powerfull enough spark causing the engine to miss or stall. you can check it by taking the end of the ign coil wire from on top of the cap and putting a spark plug in it. ground the spark plug(by a spark plug tester or hold it tightly against a grounded area) and then crank the engine. see if the spark is good and powerfull. if its weak, change the ign coil.

as for the crank and cam, if the money allows, replace them both. youll thank yourself later. and remember to go with stock sensors. these trucks dont like cheap parts.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Sweet ok thanks for the info. I know where the ignition coil is because I know about the tensioner/idler pulley. I will check that this week as im going to do a compression test prior to spening so much money on this truck

Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
Sweet ok thanks for the info. I know where the ignition coil is because I know about the tensioner/idler pulley. I will check that this week as im going to do a compression test prior to spening so much money on this truck
good idea

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Did you reset your PCM when you changed TPS and IAC? (simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will suffice.)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you reset your PCM when you changed TPS and IAC? (simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will suffice.)
Yes and ive done ot several times since

Quick Reply: stalling issue fix while doing plenum