2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tire psi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire psi?

i have searched all over the tire but seem to not be able to find the listing for the pressure. i have 265/75r16 M+S mastercraft courser A/T^2. any ideas on what pressure to keep them at?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Xtremjeepn

Best and easiest way to find the correct tire pressure for YOUR truck with YOUR load, mods etc. EVERY truck is going to be slightly different based on options, tire brand and size, load, etc. So going by rules or thumb, or other peoples pressure simply does not work perfectly. So here you go.

Drive a few miles down the road, pull over and put your hand on each of the tires. You want to feel three areas on each tire. The inner, outer and middle thirds of the tire.

What you will find is that the temperature of these three areas will be different.

If the inner section is warmer than the outer sections then your tire pressure is too high.

If the outer sections are warmer than the inner section then your tire pressure is too low.

I one of the outer or inner sections is warmer than any other area of the tire then your alignment is probably off.

The nice thing about this method is that you can use it anywhere at any time. You can adjust your tire pressure for load. If you fill the truck with camper gear for example. You can easily find the right pressure to run the tires at for the camping trip.

This should get you good fuel mileage(though not as good as just over inflating) but it will get you the best overall wear and handling.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What load rating are they? And take a closer look, I've never seen a sidewall that doesn't at least have the max capacity at a certain PSI.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it easier to rub chalk across the tire tread, take it for a drive and read the pattern. If it wears evenly, good to go. Over inflated, center is gone. Under inflated outside is gone.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by newman1367
I find it easier to rub chalk across the tire tread, take it for a drive and read the pattern. If it wears evenly, good to go. Over inflated, center is gone. Under inflated outside is gone.
Ooooo, that's a good idea. And I seem to have a couple bottles of chalk for my chalk line that I no longer use.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Xtremjeepn
Wink

Easier to carry messy chaulk around with you all the time than to just touch a tire with your hand?

...just saying, you are using the same information but don't need to carry chaulk, or stop once to chaulk up and then a second time to read the chaulk. I usually just check them when I get gas since I'm out of the truck anyway.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
Easier to carry messy chaulk around with you all the time than to just touch a tire with your hand?

...just saying, you are using the same information but don't need to carry chaulk, or stop once to chaulk up and then a second time to read the chaulk. I usually just check them when I get gas since I'm out of the truck anyway.
The chalk is to determine the 'right' pressure for current conditions. Granted, those change with the weather.... but, being able to SEE where the heaviest wear is occurring, without sacrificing a year or so of tire life is the better plan as far as I am concerned. Just laying your hand across it tells you very little. (as far as pressure goes in any event.)

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a good idea as long as the tire is mounted on the proper size/width rim.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Xtremjeepn

You obviously have never felt a tire thus way. Tells you the exact same information the chaulk does. Try it.

A perfectly inflated tire will have the same temp all the way across it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
You obviously have never felt a tire thus way. Tells you the exact same information the chaulk does. Try it.

A perfectly inflated tire will have the same temp all the way across it.
My hand is not that sensitive. I usually used an IR thermometer. That works great.

I have been doing this a long time.

Quick Reply: tire psi?