2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 ram 2500 transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
nhaggard07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 ram 2500 transmission issue?

Hi,
Im not very mechanical. My uncle just gave me his 1996 Ram 2500 with the v8 Magnum. Its an automatic, No 4x4. Just the single bench seat in the cab.
He gave it to me because he was having issues with it and bought another truck.
***THE PROBLEMS***
The issue with the truck is the transmission I believe. While driving home it drove ok, but once I drove for about 15 minutes It began to just rev up and not gain speed. The transmission wouldn't engage. If I lightly feathered the gas, it would slowly gain, but once you hit about 40sh mph it would just keep revving again but maintain speed but at a hi rpm. It felt as if it completely feel out of gear. It sounds as if something is spinning under the truck but it makes no effort to catch if that makes sense. It doesn't catch gear and buck forward or anything like that. I don't know what could be the problem or what simple solutions I could try to do before I just brake down and take it to a mechanic.
***WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?***
Does anybody have any ideas of what can be wrong with it or what solutions I could try myself before I take it to a mechanic? Im good with tools, I'm a carpenter, so If you have something I could try I would be able to do it.. I just don't want to blindly begin trying to figure it out myself because I wouldn't know where to start.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Verify fluid level first. Check in neutral. Park will give you an inaccurate reading.

If fluid level is ok, behind the shift linkage on the trans, is an 8 pin connector. Unplug it, go for a drive. You will HAVE to shift gears manually, as there will be zero automatic function. (and no o/d or TCC either.... so, don't go real far.....) If you don't shift it, it simply won't shift. So, start in first, shift to second, then third while accelerating. Drive it around for a while, and if it shifts nice, and shifts when you tell it to, governor pressure sensor/solenoid are in need of replacing.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Do you just copy paste that? Lol or are you just a nice guy?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Its finger memory. I sit and read something else, while the fingers type.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

assuming its shifting ok and slipping like hell when warmed up, it sounds like OP is going to need a transmission rebuild or replacement.

do what hey said, verify its not a shifting issue, then search for local transmission shops where previous customers don't hate them. these can be few and far between. where are you? how many miles on truck? how many miles on transmission since last rebuild? fill out your profile. welcome to df.

unfortunately, there's not too many things that can be done to revive a worn out transmission. the sensor/solenoid can fix shifting issues. fluid/filter change can sometimes help by cleaning/unsludging little valves and passages, however at $5-6/qt for ATF+4, it can be a $50-60 waste of money when a rebuild is going to be the final answer anyway. don't use anything other than ATF+4 and don't waste any time or money on additives of any kind. they're not going to fix it.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

might get lucky my dads van use to do this and it turned out to be the t/c

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
bjr1a
Professional

I would also check fluid level in neutral while cold and then warm it up until movement is lost and re-check fluid...If fluid shows significantly high, then the filter is collapsing,possibly due to debri( with this one exception).....It is possible for the torque converter to lose its fluid charging due to leaks at various places ...My best advise here is to expect a rebuild and make sure the transmission cooler is flowing properly...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM
nhaggard07

I will check and try all your suggestions and thanks for the advice. My uncle was the only owner of the truck and its never had a tranny rebuild or replacement, which I guess is kind of surprising according to what I have been reading on the web about this truck they have tranny problems pretty often? I don't know. Anyways, The truck has 90K miles. Its in immaculate condition, definitely worth putting the money in to if I have to. No body rust at all. Ill keep you all updated on what I find out about fluid levels and your other suggestions. I have another question-
The truck has a single bench seat, and I like the bucket seats more and I really would like a center console also. Do they sell after market bucket seats and a center console for my model truck? And if they do, would they just bolt in to place from the factory placings of the old bench seat or would I have to do some custom work? thank you

Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
nhaggard07

Im located in Three Oaks, MI. which is at the southwest corner of michigan right at the border of Indiana. Im an hour from chicago.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You could pick up the seats out of another truck, and they would probably bolt right in.

Quick Reply: 96 ram 2500 transmission issue?