2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem Me and Backwoods were tryin to get his rig started last weekend and got to talkin about everyone here and decided we need to get together and BBQ or something haha

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM
jam23
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up the transmission modification that deletes the check valve in one of the cooler lines up front. I have not yet done this mod but in theory it looks to be helpful. A modification I am personally thinking about doing thats under $50 is the LED Dashboard mod. It can be found on the 2nd or 3rd page of the DIY section in our forum. The LED Display page included a picture that was phenomenal in looks. Also next time your perform regular service just opt for higher qality parts like ceramic brakes pads, rivited HD shoes, sensatrack shocks, HD rotors, quality filters etc. Higher performance parts are the way you save money because your truck will last longer causing you to not have to buy another vehivle sooner.

Also check your intake manifold (plenum) for an excessive buildup of oil on the bottom. If you have oil you should investigate your PCV and if thats fine then it may be time to redo your plenum.

Another cheap thing I did for looks was take the glazing off of my headlights with 300 to 400 grit paper then wetsanding and polishing. Lights are very bright now and the kit to perform this task was only $20-$25 and utilized a cordless drill.

Good Luck with the aforementioned suggestions.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jam23
Look up the transmission modification that deletes the check valve in one of the cooler lines up front. I have not yet done this mod but in theory it looks to be helpful. A modification I am personally thinking about doing thats under $50 is the LED Dashboard mod. It can be found on the 2nd or 3rd page of the DIY section in our forum. The LED Display page included a picture that was phenomenal in looks. Also next time your perform regular service just opt for higher qality parts like ceramic brakes pads, rivited HD shoes, sensatrack shocks, HD rotors, quality filters etc. Higher performance parts are the way you save money because your truck will last longer causing you to not have to buy another vehivle sooner.

Also check your intake manifold (plenum) for an excessive buildup of oil on the bottom. If you have oil you should investigate your PCV and if thats fine then it may be time to redo your plenum.

Another cheap thing I did for looks was take the glazing off of my headlights with 300 to 400 grit paper then wetsanding and polishing. Lights are very bright now and the kit to perform this task was only $20-$25 and utilized a cordless drill.

Good Luck with the aforementioned suggestions.
fyi the led dash lights look cool and brighter but that can also a negative because they cant be dimmed and the brightness effects your nightvision preventing your eyes from adjusting properly... something that was pointed out to me by others here.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
fyi the led dash lights look cool and brighter but that can also a negative because they cant be dimmed and the brightness effects your nightvision preventing your eyes from adjusting properly... something that was pointed out to me by others here.
that may not necessarily be true. there are lots of different places that sell LED dimmer switches. i just have not been able to come across someone that has used one.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
SpencerS
Captain

Hate to get technical but modifying your driving style is a mod buddy
Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
only one of the things you listed is actually a mod. common things for our rams for performance
-CAI
-1.7 HS RR's
-SCT TUNER
-AFTERMARKET Y PIPE
-HEADERS
-HIGHFLOW CAT

for looks
-RIMS
-TIRES
-BRUSHGUARDS
-BUG VISORS
-BEDLINER ON ROCKERS
-HEADLIGHTS/TAILLIGHTS

boom now were are back on topic

Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
GTXpress
Professional

Originally Posted by muddy_ram
Hey just wondering what kind of free or cheap mods people have tryed.like to get more power or better fuel or any thing for off roading
Free Mods for Fuel Economy:
Keep foot out of throttle

Free Mods for Performance:
Keep foot in throttle

Everything else costs money. Hope that helps

Edit: Didnt see that ^ post before I typed mine haha

Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
jam23
Rookie

Originally Posted by GTXpress
Free Mods for Fuel Economy:
Keep foot out of throttle

Free Mods for Performance:
Keep foot in throttle

Everything else costs money. Hope that helps

Edit: Didnt see that ^ post before I typed mine haha
You forgot the mods for good appearance! Wear a tuxedo at all times you are in or around your truck.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
muddy_ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by jam23
You forgot the mods for good appearance! Wear a tuxedo at all times you are in or around your truck.
Lol i dont think that work for me i have as much mud out side as i do in side

Quick Reply: mods