2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)

Hello,

I have had a rear end noise for a little bit now, has not gotten worse, just has always been there. It will start anywhere above 20mph. When I let off the gas sometimes it will go away, until I hit the gas again, then its back.

I will include a video with my iPhone, which is not the best but the sound still is the same. You have to turn your volume all the way up to hear it. Right at the end of the video, I get off the gas and then back on it again. You can hear it.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0962.mp4

Thanks for any input!

Brad

Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

thats weird. i dont think it would be anything with the rear end though, since it stops when you let off the gas. i could be wrong on that one. if it comes from the rear, the only thing i can think of is maybe some sort of an exhaust leak. once again im not entirely sure on that..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of tires are you running? One of my trucks has some pretty aggressive tires and sounds like that.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Nereaga
Captain

It does come from the rear, considerably louder when I have the sliding window open, almost too loud to keep open. I am pretty sure it is coming from the rear axle somewhere. Just not sure.

Sometimes it stops making the noise when I let off the gas, but sometimes it is still there too. Kinda weird, always there but never has gotten worse in 130,000 of it doing it. My dad bought the truck with 20,000 on it and has done it since then.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Nereaga
Captain

245/70/16 Just all season cheapies

Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nereaga
Sometimes it stops making the noise when I let off the gas, but sometimes it is still there too. Kinda weird, always there but never has gotten worse in 130,000 of it doing it. My dad bought the truck with 20,000 on it and has done it since then.
i would start with making sure theres lube in the rear pumpkin and housing. if thats good, check the rear drum brakes to make sure your pads arent rubbing on the drum. if that checks out, then check the rear wheel bearings. those are the only things that i can think of off the top of my head that could make noises like that.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Originally Posted by sam_priem
i would start with making sure theres lube in the rear pumpkin and housing. if thats good, check the rear drum brakes to make sure your pads arent rubbing on the drum. if that checks out, then check the rear wheel bearings. those are the only things that i can think of off the top of my head that could make noises like that.
Thanks! Will do some more investigating tomorrow morning. Will follow up with pics

Brad

Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Ram_King
Professional

if you find out what it is let me know i have the same noise, and its annoying a ****

Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_priem

+1 on that....but I would go further. Pull diff cover off and look inside and see if there is excessive wear on the gears.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Nereaga
Captain

***Update with Pics***

Pictures of my Rear, LMAO- still a kid at heart!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/100_4207.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/100_4206.jpg

Now I think it is safe to say that the cover needs to be pulled and install a new gasket, correct? Looks like I'll be searching the site for step by step on changing the gear oil and gasket when the next nice day comes around, which here in NE PA, might be after the winter... Unless I can get to my bosses house/shop and change it in his heated garage.

Now to check the rear fluid, all I do is pop off that rubber plug? It should be filled to the top of the plug correct?

TIA!

Brad

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)